Asked by Jerry from USA | Mar. 22, 2024 14:06
About:Visa on Arrival


we are flying from US, transitting in Xiamen and final destination is HongKong. We will use 144 hour transit visa to enter Xiamen. my question is, can is make use of this 144 hour transit visa to go to shenzhen from Hongkong?

Answers (1)
Answered by Borut | Mar. 25, 2024 01:22
During your stay in Xiamen, if it is longer than 24 hours, you can rely on 144 hour visa free transit and you do not need any kind of visa. However, you cannot use the same scheme for Shenzhen because you will not be there in a transit as you were in Xiamen. Also, it is not possible to enter Shenzhen overland from Hong Kong and be eligible for 144 hour visa free transit. The only solution how you could visit Shenzhen from Hong Kong and return back to Hong Kong is to rely on 5 days Shenzhen visa on arrival that you can obtain on three designated border crossings.

The best option is to arrive at Lo Wu / Luohu border crossing before 09:00 (opening time of visa office) in the morning by train from the center of Hong Kong and then apply for a Shenzhen visa on arrival to avoid the queues and the crowd that will follow. The only drawback for US citizens is the fact that a visa costs 1,295 CNY because of the reciprocity.

After your stay in Shenzhen, you are allowed to return to Hong Kong by taking any border crossing and any mean of transport, high speed train included.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)