Asked by Philip from USA | May. 21, 2018 13:40
About:China Visa Application in USA

Shanghai for 12 hours

Hello I am going taking a connecting flight form Shanghai to Bangkok, I am a US Citizen and I would like to tour Shanghai for 6-8 hours on the same day that I would depart to Bankgkok, from what it looks like I would need a visa for that costing about $140. Is this the case? Thank you.

Answers (1)
Answered by Isla from USA | May. 22, 2018 03:20
Philip, you are eligible for 24 hr direct transit in Shanghai, but since February, Shanghai no longer allows people with layovers for less than 24 hours to clear immigration regardless of nationality. Sometimes, people were let in when they showed their hotel booking confirmations, and it depends on the consular officers. If you really want to tour the city, you are advised to apply for a tourist L type to guarantee that.
Related Questions:
LAX-Shanghai (3 hours)-Kunmin (12 hours)-DAC Does this route qualify?
Asked by Adrina
| Nov. 25, 2016 03:48
Can i go to Shanghai Science and Technology Museum by maglev train?
Asked by Kam from Canada
| Jan. 18, 2017 21:31
Phillippine passport to LAX with 12 hours layover to shanghai eligible for ...
Asked by Gina Punzalan from Philippines
| Nov. 09, 2016 20:43
Do I need a transit visa? Can I go in the city?
Asked by Manju from India
| Jul. 02, 2018 04:31
Do I need a visa if I will stay at the airport?
Asked by Jane from USA
| Nov. 07, 2018 18:04
do Canadians need a visa to transit for 12 hours in Shanghai (Pudong) from ...
Asked by Pamela from Canada
| Oct. 06, 2011 03:50
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)