Asked by Nathan from China | Mar. 11, 2015 04:39
About:Policy for Foreigners with Immediate Family Living in China

I was wondering if I could change my work visa to a family type without leaving China.

I am an American who currently lives in Dalian and I have a job with a residence permit. I have been unable to find a definite answer as to whether or not I would have to leave at the end of my contract to change my my visa to a Q1 type or if I can stay to do it here? My current residence permit expires on June 30, 2015 and I would prefer not to have to re-sign with my current job (or have any job with a Chinese company) just so I could stay another month or two with my wife while she waits for her Immigrant type. Thank you for your help.

Answers (1)
Answered by Nancy from South Africa | Mar. 18, 2015 02:50
Nathan, it's up to the local entry and exit management bureau. If they agree that you can apply for Q1 type without leaving, then you can do it. If not, you are required to exit mainland and reapply. By the way, are you two married and get your marriage certificate? If not, you can't apply for Q1 type.

Here is another way. You can apply for a L type at least seven days early before your current resident permit expires. Then you acquire another 30 days of stay.
Related Questions:
My wife and children are in China and my wife is a Chinese citizen.
Asked by Chris from USA
| Jan. 11, 2018 00:36
Change from L visa to S?
Asked by Jon from USA
| Aug. 28, 2013 03:53
Transition from student visa to work Z type
Asked by car from China
| May. 04, 2016 03:13
If i come to china with business M Visa, can i change it later to Z or X ty...
Asked by Thamer from Iraq
| Feb. 16, 2017 20:30
How to change a S1 visa into a Z type?
Asked by Chris from Cuba
| May. 04, 2017 21:21
Hello, I am living in China with a S type (my husband has the working contr...
Asked by Nora from Germany
| Jan. 11, 2018 00:44
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)