Asked by Alicia Lee from Australia | Nov. 18, 2019 23:03
About:First Time China


We will be travelling to HK from Aus then to SH (24/12) and leaving SH on 30/12 to Macau before flying back to Aus. Please advise if we are entitle to the 144 hr visa? Does the 144hr visa only applies to those who are in transit?

Answers (7)
Answered by ZUPAN | Nov. 19, 2019 13:51
Your itinerary is definitely eligible for 144 hour visa free transit in SH area and you don't need any kind of visa. Please, just take care that your flights on this portion:

Hong Kong - SH - Macau

Have to be nonstop!

Also, this is not a visa. This is 144 hour visa free (without a visa) transit and you are in transit because you are traveling, as viewed by Chinese immigration authorities as a travel between Hong Kong and Macau with a transit in SH.

144 hour visa free transit is applied only to those in transit.
Answered by alicia from Australia | Nov. 19, 2019 17:36
Thank you for the respond.
Sorry I don’t mean what do you mean by “have to be non stop”
I will be stopping at Macau (after shanghai) before doing to HK
Answered by ZUPAN | Nov. 19, 2019 23:28
Your flights:

Hong Kong - Shanghai


Shanghai - Macau

Should not have any additional landing within mainland China beside Shanghai. You cannot fly:

Shanghai - Beijing - Macau


Hong Kong - Guangzhou - Shanghai

The flights have to nonstop from Hong Kong to Shanghai and from Shanghai to Macau.

So, I am talking about the flights only and you are perfectly allowed to travel to Hong Kong after you arrive to Macau by plane from Shanghai on nonstop flight.
Answered by Alicia from Australia | Nov. 20, 2019 00:04
Thank you for the respond.
Am I allow to go to Suzhou? Or I can’t go to other province at all?
I have applied the 144hr online and given a QR code. Does it means once I have the QR code it’s approved?
Answered by ZUPAN | Nov. 20, 2019 13:17
You are perfectly allowed to travel and stay within the following administrative unites:

- City of Shanghai
- Zhejiang province
- Jiangsu province

As you can see, you can freely travel to Suzhou as it is in Jiangsu province.

You really didn't need to apply online because this does not have any real value. You will still have to approach 144 hour visa free transit counter and probably even fill out the blue form. This application that you have used is nothing else but this blue form in electronic form.

Your application could, but most likely will not be approved because this system is yet in its, I would say, experimental phase although it would be really great if this application is really functional. In other words, just don't bother yourself with the outcome of this application submission and do everything as you have not applied through it. You will not have any consequences if you don't mention this application at all upon your arrival in Shanghai.
Answered by Alicia Lee from Australia | Nov. 20, 2019 20:15
Thank you Zupan!
Just for my own understanding does it means if I travel from
A-B-C-D-B-A (C-Shanghai)
The China immigration will only look at B and D, that is where did you come from and where will you be leaving to, as long as it’s within 6 days.
Answered by Arianna from Canada | Nov. 24, 2019 22:02
Yes, you are correct.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)