Asked by Ann from USA | May. 07, 2017 20:18
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit

Can you enter China twice within a short period, using the 72 hour rule each time.

I would like to visit both Shanghai and Japan. Can I use the 72 hr. rule (or is it even 144 hrs for Shanghai?) to avoid getting a Chinese visa if I do the following:
Fly from USA to Shanghai on a round trip ticket, stay 72 hrs or less (or 144??) in Shanghai.
Fly from Shanghai to Japan on a separate round trip ticket on China Eastern or whatever, spend let's say 3-4 days in Japan and then return to Shanghai.
Spend another 72 hours (or 144?) in Shanghai.
Return to USA on the return portion of my USA-Shanghai ticket.

Will this work? If so, I could get a total of 72 + 72 hours in Shanghai without a visa (or if the rule for Shanghai is actually a more generous 144 hours, I could get 144 +144 hrs= 288 hours there, essentially 12 days) Thank you for your help!!

Answers (1)
Answered by Sam from China | May. 07, 2017 22:15
Ann, you are eligible for the 144 hour free transit in Shanghai in both directions. Nice trip!
Related Questions:
how does a double entry L visa for british passport work
Asked by costas from United Kingdom
| Dec. 03, 2015 01:54
Can I (canadian) fly to Hong Kong, spend 4 days and on to Shanghai, spend...
Asked by Roy from Mexico
| Jul. 09, 2017 15:21
Shanghai and Beijing , 144 hour rule and 72 hour rule
Asked by Cheryl from USA
| Nov. 07, 2016 21:21
I am flying from us to Beijing, stay there 48 hours then fly to Hong Kong a...
Asked by Jay from USA
| Nov. 09, 2015 20:17
Any Restrictions on Number of 72 hour visas in Month?
Asked by mitt from USA
| Oct. 19, 2016 22:32
Two time Hong Kong entry
Asked by Amit from India
| Aug. 27, 2015 01:30
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)