Asked by peter mcloughlin from australia | Nov. 07, 2016 16:18
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit FAQ

I am arriving in Shanghai about a cruise ship

My cruise ship terminates in shanghai and i am staying there for 2 day before flying to hong kong then onto Australia - I am seeking a permit for myself and my wife (New Zealand citizen) - we both have valid passports and confirmation of our flight and seats on Dragonair from Shanghai to Hong Kong
while in Shanghai we are staying at the Shangri La Hotel
I have been told by the travel agent in Australia that unless we have a visa the cruise company will not let us board the ship in Hong kong for a 12 night cruise -
What arrangements can be made to overcome this situation
Peter McLoughlin

Answers (1)
Answered by Paul from Netherlands | Nov. 07, 2016 20:35
Peter, if the country or region you come from before arriving in Shanghai is not HK, you will be able to enjoy the 144 hour free transit in Shanghai, but you’d better confirm that with the cruise ship. Sometimes, the cruise ship may still require you to provide a valid entry permit for this situation.
Related Questions:
Do I qualify for the 72 hour exemption and if so what do I have do to obtai...
Asked by E. Bradley from USA
| Aug. 14, 2015 01:08
Is visa required or permission letter, leaving same day? What is the proced...
Asked by John stanek from USA
| Nov. 26, 2015 20:58
I am a US citizen arriving Shanghai on a cruise ship. Do I need a visa if I...
Asked by Sharon from USA
| Nov. 15, 2013 00:54
Marti U.s. citizen with valid passport. January 11, 2018
Asked by Marti from U.S.A.
| Jan. 15, 2018 01:33
Am I able to obtain the 144 hour visa and do I get it from the port on arri...
Asked by Lester from Australia
| Oct. 08, 2017 21:19
Is the facility to obtain a short stay Chinese visa available at Shanghai c...
Asked by Kim from Australia
| Feb. 07, 2017 19:36
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)