Asked by Mr.Peterson from USA | Aug. 10, 2009 14:55
About:China Embassy in U.S.A.

We are USA citizens leaving a cruise ship at Shanghai in February, 2010, staying overnight at a Shanghai hotel and departing 36 hours after arrival to return to the USA by direct flight (one group) and via Tokoyo to USA (second group). Can we stay in Shanghai for 36 hours without a Chinese visa? Paragraphs copied below are from Shanghai Police news release dated 17 December 2007 concerning confusion about the 48 hour visa free policy. Note we are entering via the Shanghai port and departing from Pudong airport flying to our country of citizenship.
Thank you.

"The travelers must already have a connecting-flight ticket before landing in Shanghai and the destination of the flights must be in a country different from his own and China."

Shanghai's two international airports are the only channels on Chinese mainland from where qualified nationals could enter the country by the 48-hour visa free policy.

Answers (1)
Answered by Mr.Joseph | Aug. 10, 2009 21:41
American passport holders are free of visa when transitting Shanghai for less than 48 hours, so you don't need any visa.
Related Questions:
US citizens. Flying into China, sailing out the next day. Do we need a visa...
Asked by Joanne Michaels from USA
| Jul. 05, 2014 22:00
Joining a Cruise
Asked by Clephane from UK
| Aug. 10, 2018 04:02
We are flying from the UK via Dubai to Shanghai.
Asked by Martin Spencer from United Kingdom
| Aug. 08, 2016 22:44
what transit visa in shanghai
Asked by brenda from australia
| May. 21, 2018 04:28
We are taking a cruise ship out of Shanghai and will be overnighting on the...
Asked by Mrs.M from usa
| Feb. 23, 2010 22:43
Which Visa Free to apply for
| Oct. 01, 2018 17:03
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)