Asked by Gabrielle Autry from United States | May. 17, 2020 20:17
About:Chinese Embassies and Consulates

Is it possible to apply for a new spousal visa, while in China on a humanitarian visa?

I am an American woman that just married a Chinese man. I’m currently on an almost-expired humanitarian visa, but because of the virus, among other reasons, do not want to travel back to the US. Is it possible to remain in China at the moment and apply for a new visa as a spouse?

Answers (3)
Answered by Tracy from USA | May. 24, 2020 18:22
Gabrielle, hope my answer is not too late. You can have a try to apply for the spousal visa, but the chance to get it it not very big.
Answered by Lee from USA | May. 29, 2020 19:10
Ultimately, I think the likely outcome will be a Q family visa with 90 day validity that needs renewal every 90 days for the foreseeable future (about 1000 RMB each time). They are cancelling all 10 year visas, not extending or reissuing new ones. The only issue I can see is that you want to change visa types and most people are being told they must exit China before the current visa expires and reapply for the new visa type before entering China. Your best chance is to go to the immigration office with your husband (bring all of your documents, including your work, residence permits, marriage book, husbands Chinese id and work information etc) a minimum of 10 business days before your current visa expires (better to do it several weeks before then) and explain your circumstances in detail to an officer (not the receptionist - very important!).. if you just want advice before deciding, they will tell you exactly what you can or cant do right now. If you dont have time and want to apply for the new visa they will decide on the spot.
Answered by Lee from USA | May. 29, 2020 19:22
One more thing about the receptionists, for you or anybody reading this, when you first go in they might try to tell you to go to a hospital for a full medical exam before you can apply for the visa extension - they are telling everyone this.. but this is BS because you are already married, you dont need that document. I was told this, but then walked into the main interview room and spoke with an officer directly and was told I didn't need to go to the hospital! It saved me a days time and about 800 RMB in costs. Point being, the receptionists have no authority and dont know what is going on with specific visas.. their job is to answer general questions and hand out numbered tickets to wait in line. With something so important as your visa, best to go directly to the source, someone with authority and who can be held accountable.
Related Questions:
spousal visa from morocco to china fee
Asked by zohra from Morocco
| May. 09, 2016 22:53
Hi ,i am a graduate student with a visa that will finish on 31july 2017,
Asked by Kanie from China
| Jun. 19, 2017 21:18
Can I switch from a humanitarian visa to a student X without exit from Chin...
Asked by David from South Africa
| Oct. 22, 2018 20:32
Convert study visa to spousal type
Asked by Marie from Zimbabwe
| Jan. 06, 2016 20:11
I would like to shop
Asked by judith Rolle from Bahamas
| Aug. 27, 2016 22:44
Chinese Spousal Visa
Asked by ChinaSpouse from China
| Sep. 19, 2018 18:52
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)