Asked by Xandra from Philippines | Feb. 07, 2020 17:14
About:Chinese Embassies and Consulates

My son’s father is a chinese citizen and he wants my child to be a chinese citizen

My son’s father is a chinese citizen and he want to change his son’s citizenship to chinese citizenship. We’re not married yet. But we’re planning. And I applied passport to my child in Philippines. Would that be a difficult situation to apply citizenship?

Answers (8)
Answered by Janet from USA | Feb. 11, 2020 21:15
Yes, it would be hard for your child to get Chinese citizenship. First, you are not married while giving birth to the child. Second, China does not recognize dual-citizenship.
Answered by Xandra from Philippines | Feb. 13, 2020 03:09
If we get married? Would it be hard if we apply chinese citizen for our child?
Answered by John Doe | Feb. 13, 2020 17:59
The Chinese embassy in the Philippines will require you to provide 1) the original birth certificate issued by the PSA and the fee payment receipt for the certificate and 2) a signed declaration that the parents will renounce Philippine citizenship for the child (whether actual renunciation is required is up to the embassy), and 3) a declaration from the DFA that the child has never been issued a Philippine passport. The renunciation declaration is only available at the embassy.

In addition to those documents, you must make an appointment online and fill out the forms. Your son's birth father can do that (or you can DIY if you read Simplified Chinese).

Both parents have to present themselves at the Chinese embassy, although currently Philippine authorities prohibit Chinese nationals from entering the Philippines so you will have to wait until this is over if his dad is in China.
Answered by John Doe | Feb. 13, 2020 18:01
Also the most important thing is your son's father has to register him for hukou which can only be done in China. This is of course after your son gets his Chinese passport if everything goes smoothly.
Answered by Xandra from Philippines | Feb. 15, 2020 04:57
That’s my problem now. I applied my child a Philippine passport. Would that be a big problem?
Answered by John Doe | Feb. 15, 2020 17:26
Then it is up to the embassy. They may ask you to renounce your son's Filipino citizenship, although depending on where his father is from and what city's hukou he would get if being registered as a Chinese national you need to consider whether it's better to keep him as a Filipino. (Hukous from smaller towns are usually useless if there are no good public schools there, and your son won't be eligible to go to a foreigner-only international school in China either if he is a Chinese national.)
Answered by Xandra from Philippine | Feb. 19, 2020 07:21
Thankyou for the response. My partner is from henan. We’re still worried about changing his nationality because i applied my child a Philippine passport. We’re willing to give up filipino citizenships
Answered by John Doe | Feb. 19, 2020 19:59
It is up to you although like I said, there is nothing you can do at this point as his father cannot enter the Philippines. You will need to wait until his father can visit.

Henan is one of the lesser-developed provinces and has a notoriously tough university entrance examination system (gaokao) due to overpopulation and a lack of quality universities. If your goal is to send your son to a good college, then it is no secret that holders of non-Chinese passports will be given preferential treatments at times of admission if they can speak Mandarin and can read and write Chinese characters. The Chinese government also offers scholarships for them. On the other hand your son may have to go to international schools if he is not a Chinese national and the cost can be overwhelming. Overall you may want to do some research on this topic and decide based on your personal circumstances.
Related Questions:
my child's father is Chinese citizen he wanted our baby to become Chinese c...
Asked by georgina from Philippines
| Mar. 22, 2012 22:50
My sons father born 27/7/1973 me born 1/13/1971, are we meant to break up?
Asked by Jessica Z from England
| Oct. 30, 2013 03:30
can it work if am a rooster and my lover is a tiger?
Asked by Kelly from England
| Aug. 19, 2014 00:47
im just asking for the requirments of chinese visa for my son and i.him fat...
Asked by Mrs.josephine roble from China
| Jun. 17, 2010 04:16
I'm a fire snake. Sept. 5, 1977. Should I stay with this man or move on?
Asked by Jm from United States
| Nov. 14, 2015 20:06
Do we need to apply for travel documents or a type of Chinese visa?
Asked by JG from USA
| May. 31, 2014 04:27
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)