Asked by Patricia Gibson from Canada | Jan. 12, 2020 13:25
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit

Do we require a Chinese Visa

We are flying from Vancouver to Singapore to board a cruise ship for a 16 day cruise from Singapore to Shanghai. We are at the Hong Kong airport for 14 hours before our connecting flight to Singapore. We are in Shanghai for one night at the end of our 16 day cruise. We depart from Shanghai Pudong airport for Narita (Tokyo). We have a 3 hour wait before our connecting flight from Narita direct to Vancouver, Canada. During the cruise, we stop for one day in Hong Kong (8 a.m. until 11 p.m.). Do we need to obtain a Chinese Visa during this trip, or does the 144 hour Visa-Free Transit in China apply to us? We land in Hong Kong on April 15th for our connecting flight to Singapore. Our cruise ship is then scheduled to dock in Hong Kong on April 25th for 15 hours. We are in Shanghai for approximately 48 hours prior to our departure.

Answers (1)
Answered by ZUPAN | Jan. 13, 2020 13:46
Patricia, if I'm not wrong, you will take a 16 night Southeast Asia Cruise provided by Princess Cruises. So, if I'm right, your last port of call, immediately before Shanghai will be Busan in South Korea. After that, you plan to spend about 48 hours and then to fly to Vancouver via Tokyo Narita airport.

So, if the above mentioned is correct, you are perfectly eligible for 144 hour visa free transit in Shanghai area and you don't need any kind of visa. You will just print out your flight and cruise tickets and accommodation booking confirmation for your accommodation in Shanghai.

As far as Hong Kong is concerned, you simply don't need to think about it because it has separate immigration policy from the rest of China and Canadians don't need a visa to visit Hong Kong.

You will receive a yellow arrival card at the ship, almost certainly during the cruise between Busan and Shanghai. You will fill it out. It is also possible, but not so probable that also a blue form will be dispensed on the ship and this one is for those who intend to apply for 144 hour visa free transit. In the case that this blue form is not dispensed on the ship, you will get one at the cruise terminal in Shanghai upon your docking there. You will fill it out and shortly after, you will get a sticker in your passport and will be allowed to exit the terminal and to spend your time in Shanghai area as you wish.
Related Questions:
traveling on a cruise ship next March we stop over in Shanghai for 2 days...
Asked by Julie from Australia
| Aug. 16, 2012 22:30
We are going on a cruise which goes into shanghai for about 18hrs.
Asked by stuart+bland
| Jun. 28, 2015 21:23
I am a NZ citizen travelling on a NZ passport to amsterdam via Guangzhou an...
Asked by Andi from NZ
| May. 15, 2012 23:04
NZ citizen on NZ passort to Geneva via Guangzhou with an 18 hour stopover S...
Asked by Faye Hedges from New Zealand
| May. 28, 2012 20:22
Do Jamaican national require visa to visit china
Asked by Donald from Jamaica
| Mar. 29, 2013 04:44
Hi we would like to go to Shenzhen from Hong Kong do we require a visa. We ...
Asked by Arun sarin from Belgium
| Jul. 10, 2014 21:11
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)