Asked by Ron from USA | Apr. 24, 2019 13:27

Does 72 hour visa free transit apply? Us to Guangzhou

I'm planning a trip to Guangzhou from the US.

I can have my inbound flight come from US to Narita, Japan , then to Guangzhou direct. The return flight I can make from Guangzhou to Hong Kong, then to US.

Does this qualify for visa free transit?

I wasnt sure if my return flight from Gaingzhou to Hong Kong counted as another stop in mainland China.

Also do I need my original layover in Japan to be longer than a couple hours in order for my origin country to be Japan, rather than US?

Lastly, do i need to buy my ticket in segments? Us to japan, japan to china? Or is it ok if i just buy one round trip ticket for this whole trip?

Answers (1)
Answered by ZUPAN | Apr. 24, 2019 15:04
Yes, you are perfectly qualified for 72 hours visa free transit in Guangzhou. Also, you have correctly mentioned that you will have to fly from Guangzhou to Hong Kong in order to enjoy this convenience. By the way, you don't have to worry about Guangzhou to Hong Kong flight because Hong Kong is considered as third country within the rules regarding 72 hours visa free transit.

You layover in Japan can be just a few hours. This is not important. The only thing that is important is the fact that you are arriving to Guangzhou from Japan by nonstop flight. Anyway, you can have US as your origin country, as far as you use Hong Kong after Guangzhou. Hypothetically, if you skip Japan you would have:

US - Guangzhou (mainland China) - Hong Kong. This is eligible without any doubt.

As far as the tickets are concerned, you really don't have to worry. The only thing that is important is your way (direction) of travel. So, just be relaxed and choose whether US or Japan will be the country from where you will arrive in Guangzhou.

Keep in mind to have your documentation, i.e. flight tickets and accommodation bookings in printed form upon your landing in Guangzhou. Also, you should know that 72 hours start the day following your arrival at 00:01 and end three days later at 23:59. So, if you want to enjoy your time in the best possible way, the best option would be arrival in the morning hours and departure as later as possible.
Related Questions:
Traveling by train from Hong Kong
Asked by Mark from USA
| Mar. 01, 2014 02:54
USA to Guangzhou to Canada (no Visa required) . Does 72 hour rule apply?
Asked by travia Anderson from United States
| Apr. 22, 2016 02:47
Does the 72 hour free transit apply if I fly US-PEK-US?? Or only if onward ...
Asked by Dustin from USA
| Jan. 13, 2017 00:39
Fly into HK, fly to Guangzhou, fly back to HK for return to USA
Asked by FLS from USA
| Jun. 14, 2016 09:49
Free transit - Hong Kong-Beijing-Macau
Asked by Christophe from France
| Jul. 31, 2013 02:37
Hi, going from USA to India and have a 16-20 hour layover in Shangai or Bej...
Asked by Victor from USA
| Oct. 16, 2018 20:44
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)