Asked by Ofra from USA | Jun. 14, 2017 02:22
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit

US citizen. 34 hours layover on a cruise.

I am a US citizen. I'll be on a cruise, it arrives in Shanghai at 8AM and departs the following day at 6PM (34 hours total).
I am planning day tours that take me out of the city on an escorted tour that I intend to purchase from the cruise line (Holland America) 9-10 hours the first day, and 7-8 hours the second day.
1) Do I need A visa? or am I covered by the 72 hour free transit?
2) At the end of the 10 hour tour , am I allowed to stay in town for dinner (without the tour guide) or do I have to go back to the ship immediately at the end of the tour?

Thank you, OM

Answers (1)
Answered by Paul from Malaysia | Jun. 14, 2017 04:08
Ofra, if you will go to a third country or region by the cruise ship rather than the last one you come from after transiting for 34 hours in Shanghai, you will qualify for the 144 hour free transit. No need to apply for a visa then.
You should contact with the cruise ship line to see if you can stay in town for dinner without a tour guide.
Related Questions:
What Visa do I need for short stay in China on the way to Mongolia
Asked by Michelle from USA
| Nov. 13, 2012 03:41
JFK new york - guangzhou - penang, am i eligible for this 72 hour visa free...
Asked by cheng man lai from USA
| Nov. 26, 2015 02:41
Going back to us bangkok to hong kong to beijing to boston. 34 hour flight ...
Asked by John from Usa
| Jan. 05, 2017 21:06
I qualify for the 24 hour free transit correct?
Asked by Abby from United States
| Jan. 09, 2017 00:57
do I need a visa to enter or exit China?
Asked by pheplyn from USA
| Jul. 05, 2017 20:46
Transit Question
Asked by Ryan from USA
| Jan. 23, 2014 00:23
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)