Asked by Paul from Australia | Jan. 04, 2017 21:56
About:China Visa

We are doing cruise which stops overnight in Shanghai and later overnight in Tianjin Port (Beijing)

We are Australians.
The cruise starts in Hong Kong 28 Feb 2017 and visits Shanghai for an overnight stay on 3/4 March. 5 days later visits Tianjin Port (Beijing) for an overnight stay on 8/9 March. Then 10 days later returns to Shanghai for another overnight stay on19/20 March. In between these dates the cruise visits South Korea and Japan. The cruise makes a few stops at Taiwan before finishing in Hong Kong on 28 March.
Are we eligible for the 15 Day Free Policy Adopted for Cruise Tour Groups to Shanghai which took effect 1 October 2016?
Are we eligible also for the 144 Hour Exemption Transit Policy atPorts of Entry in Shanghai which takes effect 30 January 2017?
Do either or both of these policies include Beijing?
Does this mean we can go ashore form the ship to walk around a town or go shopping or even catch the Bullet train without a visa? Or can we only go ashore if we have pre-booked a tour through a registered Chinese Travel Agency?

Answers (1)
Answered by Christina from Canada | Jan. 05, 2017 20:16
If you want to enjoy the 15-day free policy, you need to join a tourist group organized by a local travel agency at Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal or Wusong Passenger Transport Center. The 15-day free policy also applies to Tianjin and Beijing if you go there by the same ship. When you enjoy the 15-day free policy, you can disembark from the ship without a visa. Please note that you need to exit via the same ship when you finish the 15-day tour.
You are not eligible for the 144 hour free transit when you travel like that because you will stop in both Shanghai and Beijing.
If you still have doubts, you are advised to contact with Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection at 086-021-31366000 or Pujiang Immigration Inspection at 086-021-31366700.
Related Questions:
Visa required? We are flying to Shanghai, staying one night and then boardi...
Asked by Karen Caulfield from Canada
| Feb. 23, 2018 21:18
Do I need a visa if leaving cruise ship in Tianjin staying overnight in hot...
Asked by Rachel Hodgkinson from United Kingdom
| Feb. 14, 2017 20:20
China Visa for Princess Cruise
Asked by Noel from Australia
| Nov. 16, 2012 03:24
What visa please ?
Asked by Julie from Australia
| May. 07, 2018 22:10
Do I need to apply for China visa for one night stay in Tianjin?
Asked by Peter from Australia
| Jun. 19, 2015 02:34
Hi I will be on a cruise which stops in Hong Kong (overnight) and Shangh...
Asked by Mrs.webb from australia
| Dec. 13, 2009 02:53
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)