Asked by Anthony from USA | Aug. 04, 2016 13:06
About:China Visa Exemption

Return flight passes through Shanghai

I am an American with a US passport. In November, I travel to Shanghai for 3 days in order to give an academic lecture. Then I leave via the same airport to Thailand in order to lecture there for four days. Thus I should qualify for the 144 hours TWOV program while in Shanghai. However, when I return to the US from Thailand, my flight passes through Shanghai, where I switch planes. I will not leave the airport, and the layover is only a few hours. My question is this: does this count as a 'double-entry' into China, which would invalidate the 144-TWOV rule? I've called the embassies each several times, but can get no answer. Thanks kindly!

Answers (1)
Answered by Nissan from Sweden | Aug. 05, 2016 02:25
Anthony, just relax! You can enjoy the free transit in Shanghai for both legs of your trip. In this case, no entry permit is needed.
Related Questions:
I hold a Trinidad and Tobago passport and also a valid Japan Visa
Asked by Shawn from Trinidad and Tobago
| Jan. 13, 2016 21:33
Two stops in China on flight from Vancouver to Nepal. Can I use transit vi...
Asked by Garfield from Saunders
| Dec. 21, 2015 20:46
Do we need a visa? we are US and Canadian passport holders.
Asked by Karen Plunkett from Canada
| Aug. 01, 2015 22:59
Can I transit through Shanghai without a visa flying with my retired airlin...
Asked by Dave Laidlaw from Canada
| Oct. 28, 2015 22:12
D-> I transfer questions in Shanghai Pudong airport
Asked by James from USA
| Mar. 04, 2014 01:36
Can I use a Visa card to buy the Shanghai 3 day metro travel pass at the ve...
Asked by Colin from Australia
| Aug. 15, 2018 20:32
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)