Asked by Chet Dixon from United States | Jun. 29, 2013 07:10
About:Tibet Travel Tips

Travel to Lhasa and other areas as an American living in Shanghai

I am planning a trip to Lhasa and the surrounding areas during the National Holiday the first week of October. I will be travelling with my girlfriend and her friend. They are both Chinese, but I am an American living in Shanghai. I will have a Chinese residency permit and a Z-Visa. My questions are what type of travel will we be allowed to do from Lhasa? Can we join independent travel groups that form in Lhasa or will we be required to travel with established tour operators? Can we travel with a travel group even though we are citizens of different countries? Also, what type of visa or documentation will be necessary in order to do this type of travel. Is an alien travel permit required for any travel outside of Lhasa? Do both Americans and Chinese need this type of travel permit? Thanks for your help.

Answers (1)
Answered by Sam from USA | Jun. 30, 2013 04:08
For you, you need a Tibet Travel Permit, but for your gf and her friend, they do not any need any travel permit.
According to Chinese policy, it is impossible for you to travel with your gf and her friend to go to Tibet in one group, because you are citizens of different countries.
If you need to travel there, you may need to get a travel permit before you enter, otherwise, flight tickets cannot be issued.
Apart from Tibet, no other travel permit is required if you want to travel to other places in China.
Related Questions:
We are applying for a visa to China, we live in Singapore do we fill out fr...
Asked by TBarrilleaux from Singapore
| May. 03, 2012 02:38
Can visa be obtained from Bali without personal appearance in Jakarta?
Asked by David from Indonesia
| Mar. 01, 2013 01:54
Can I apply for a L visa in person in tokyo?
Asked by Alex from America
| Aug. 30, 2012 03:23
Greek Orthodox Easter Services - 2014 in Shanghai
Asked by Tricia from China
| Mar. 29, 2014 22:56
visa for children born in America of Chinese mother to visit grandparents i...
Asked by Herb Mefford from USA
| Nov. 25, 2014 19:31
Are there smoking areas in Pudong Airport?
Asked by Davis from USA
| Oct. 31, 2015 01:56
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)