Asked by Ms.ATLGREENS from Afghanistan | Jan. 27, 2011 10:27
About:China Work Visa

I am in a gay relationship and have been with my partner for several years. He has been asked by his company to take over their Asia operations, and we are moving to Shanghai. He is European, and I am American. I am currently exploring job options in Shanghai, but I may not have a job lined up before traveling there.

What type of visa should I apply for? Normally, I believe family members would be covered under the Z visa of the employed party, but I don't believe this would apply for a gay couple.

Would it be wise to apply for a tourist visa for 6-12 months and then apply for residence permit once in country?

Thanks for your help.

Answers (1)
Answered by Mr.JOHNNASH from United States | Jan. 27, 2011 22:01
Yes, you can try to apply for a China tourist visa for going to Shanghai to find a job, but the tourist visa is generally single entry, valid for 3 months, 30 days stay duration. Once you find a job and your employer can obtain the Alien Work Permit and official invitation letter from an autorized Chinese government office, you can go to Hong Kong to apply for China work visa, then return to Shanghai.

Your tourist visa can't be converted into residence permit even though you come to Shanghai.
Related Questions:
Hong Kong Dependants Visa
Asked by James from England
| Sep. 20, 2012 03:50
Will my new business be successful this year, and is there someone who may ...
Asked by Kim from USA
| Feb. 07, 2013 18:33
Which visa do I need for my children?
Asked by DA from China
| Apr. 05, 2016 03:45
When will OFFICIALLY I find my soul mate?
Asked by Rayn from South Africa
| Aug. 02, 2015 07:59
I was born 17/12/1956 @ 3.15am I have been on my own for 5 years. Will I fi...
Asked by Diane from Australia
| Dec. 27, 2016 21:03
Can we make it work and should we marry?
Asked by N from United Kingdom
| May. 28, 2014 04:12
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)