Asked by Mr.Christian Martenson from US | Jan. 14, 2011 04:33
About:China Embassy in U.S.A.

I am an American citizen staying in a private residence in Shanghai. I arrived into Shanghai on a double entry - 60 day visitor visa that I obtained in Hong Kong. All visitor visas are restricted maximum stay of 30 days. I was advised by the Chinese Embassy in the US that at the end of my second 30-day visa period I could apply for a 90-day extention to my visa at the Exit and Entry Bureau in Shanghai. Instead of returning to Hong Kong at the end of my first 30-day stay, I decided to apply for the 90-day extention which I received today; however, the extention is only for 30-days and not 90-days. The Chief Visa Officer at the Bureau advised that Vistor Visa's are only valid for maximum 30-day stay.

Near the end of my new 30-day visa can I re-apply for 30-day extention without having to exit mainland China? How many times can I do this. I am searching for full-time employment in China. I understand that my employer will process a work/ resident visa for me once I am employed.

Also, upon entering mainland China on any type of visa individuals must register their temporary residence with the nearest Police Department within 24-hours. When applying for extentions to Visit Visa's the Visa Authorities require two (2) copies of the Temporary Residential Registration Certificate issued by the local Police Department. Everytime the visa is renewed or changed the individual must re-register through the local Police Department. Hotels have standardised forms for Residential Registration; however, if staying with friends or private resident, copies of the plot plan and legal description are required to be submitted for the Temporary Residential Registration. If indivduals do not register within 24-hours a minimun penalty of 300 CNY must be paid.
Your earliest reply is appreciated.

Answers (1)
Answered by Ms.NANCYMOON from Macau | Jan. 15, 2011 01:22
At the end of your new 30 days visa, you can re-apply for 30 days extension without having to exit Mainland China, L visa can only be extended twice, after you apply for visa extension at the Exit & Enter Bureau in Shanghai twice, you have to exit Mainland China and apply for a new China visa in Hong Kong( or Macau( again
Related Questions:
How do I get an invitation letter?
Asked by mary dowling from USA
| Nov. 06, 2013 01:50
Work Z type and S1 type
Asked by SA from Turkey
| Jun. 03, 2016 20:56
Am I qualified for 72 hour Visa-Free Transit Between September 3 and Septe...
Asked by Phil
| Aug. 12, 2013 03:12
I am an American citizen with an Alien Residence Card for Taiwan (R.O.C.). ...
Asked by Ms.Rice from USA, Taiwan
| Sep. 22, 2010 22:08
visiting sister working in china. do i need a L tourist visa or s2? only go...
Asked by patty from Germany/usa
| Sep. 03, 2014 03:45
Dear sir/Madam, I am an American citizen and I am living in Bangladesh. I ...
Asked by Mr.Mohammed Obaidul Talukder from Bangladesh
| May. 20, 2010 21:53
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)