Asked by David from USA | Oct. 23, 2018 18:17
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit

144 hr vs 72 hour exemption

Thank you for your previous response. I am now wondering about the difference between the 144 hour and 72 hour twov exemption. Would we be eligible for a 144 hour twov exemption if we fly from United States to Beijing, then Beijing to Hong Kong five days later? We have USA passports.

Answers (1)
Answered by Paul from USA | Oct. 23, 2018 19:39
There are three separate transit without visa timeframes. 24, 72 & 144 hour. Shanghai was the first to extend the 72 hour time to 144 hours. Beijing later switched from 72 to 144. some pages here still reference 72 hours when they discuss Beijing but that now longer applies. Beijing you either qualify for the 24 hour multiple stop transit or the single stop 144 hour transit. More and more cities will switch to 144 hours from 72 in the future.

Shenzhen for example was one that did not allow even 24 hour transit but recently added it with some stipulations. Guangzhou for example only allows 72 but is in process of joining Beijing, Shanghai and Liaoning provinces in increasing the timeframe to 144 hours.
Related Questions:
exemptions. What is required for exemptions paperwork-wise?
Asked by John from USA
| Aug. 14, 2018 06:32
Visa required for a 4 day stay in shanghai for Canadian and EU citizen (not...
Asked by Tina from Canada
| Feb. 05, 2018 20:51
I am planning a trip to Asia and I will be in Shanghai for 3 days. My itine...
Asked by Brian from USA
| Apr. 25, 2017 20:30
We are Canadians flying into Shanghai to board a cruise ship. Can we get a ...
Asked by Jan mccall from Canada
| Aug. 23, 2018 00:35
What if I am not in transit but return to my original destination? HCMC-Bei...
Asked by Cathy Tang Hales from Canada
| Sep. 03, 2015 11:22
I am an Australian citizen. Arriving at Beijing Capital Airport via overnig...
Asked by Rob from Australia
| May. 28, 2018 08:55
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)