Asked by James from Australia | Oct. 05, 2017 07:20
About:144-Hour Visa-Free Transit

Can we get the 144 hour visa

Can we fly Adelaide to Hong Kong (transit for a few hours) to Shanghai then fly out of Shanghai direct to Australia and get the 144 hour transit free?

Answers (1)
Answered by Sjoerd from The Netherlands | Oct. 05, 2017 22:19
Yes, that's fine. Patterns like A-B-A (where B is Shanghai) are not allowed, but you are doing an A-B-C-A (where C is Shanghai), so all good

The immigration officer reasons like this: Find Shanghai in the pattern of flights and look to the left and to the right of it. The countries to the left and right are not allowed to be China and have to be different to each other

In your case: To the left of the C is B: Hong Kong, which is not being considered in China, and to the right is A: Adelaide, also not in China. Finally B: Hong Kong and A: Adelaide are in different countries. Tick, all good

I just did two trips like that and am very satisfied with how immigration officers at Pudong airport handled my case and how quickly I passed immigration, way faster compared to the normal queues. At Pudong the 144 desks are completely to the left (or right, depending on which terminal you arrive at), at the immigration control area, just after passing the temperature-check gate. While you walk to the left (or right) an officer will come to you and ask you if you are going to apply for a 144 visa as the desks are normally unmanned. He will than call an officer and while you are waiting for him or her, you can fill-in a special arrival card that you'll find there near the 144-desk. When the officer arrives, you have to show your onward ticket (in your case to Adelaide) and your hotel booking confirmation in Shanghai (or anywhere in the Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces) and you get a small 144-visa sticker in your passport, which states the begin and end date of your '144-hour Visa-free Transit'
Related Questions:
We are arriving on a cruise to shanghai next march and departing again 12 h...
Asked by Sheena parker from England
| Sep. 20, 2016 22:17
If we travel from England to shanghai via Dubai, stay in shanghai for 3days...
| Sep. 09, 2016 22:28
We are Indian Couple, can we use 144 hour VISA free at Shanghai?
Asked by Deo Dutta Sharma from India
| Oct. 11, 2018 18:22
my wife and i are taking a cruise from singapore to tianjin china.
Asked by mal newman from usa
| Jul. 17, 2017 20:55
Can we fly Japan-Beijing-Shanghai-Beijing-Japan on the 144 hour free visa?
Asked by Beth from USA
| May. 25, 2017 21:30
To get the 144 hour visa, travelling fro Sydney to Beijing and returning to...
Asked by Campbell Wright from Australia
| Aug. 31, 2018 05:34
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)