Asked by Michelle from Taiwan | Mar. 09, 2017 12:57
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit


Hi there! I'm having problems reaching the Chinese embassy as there is not one in Taiwan, and it's been difficult trying to reach the consuls in the US.

I'm a US citizen and currently live in Taiwan, and my itinerary is below:
Taiwan - Macau, stay overnight
Macau - Shanghai Pudong, stay for 2 days
Shanghai - Macau, stay overnight
Macau - Taiwan

My questions are:
1. Does this grant me a free transit in Shanghai? Not sure if Shanghai would see consider my inbound and outbound as from Macau.

2. IF Macau is considered a third region in my case, a Visa is not necessary, correct?

3. Do I need to apply for a free transit permit or anything of that sort at the Pudong airport in Shanghai?
Thanks so much for your time!! Really appreciate the help.

Answers (1)
Answered by leo | Mar. 09, 2017 14:10
Michelle, for Chinese immigration the only relevant flights are Macau-Shanghai-Macau. This is not a transit. Therefore you can't use the free transit. You either need a visa in advance or you must change your itinerary. Macau-Shanghai-Hong Kong would be fine, for example.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)