Asked by Jam from Japan | Nov. 22, 2016 20:52
About:144-Hour Visa-Free Transit

I want to fly into Shanghai from Japan (UK citizen)

with the ultimate aim of getting the trans-Mongolian express from Beijing. Therefore I wish to enter and leave from two eligible transit ports (the airport and train station in Shanghai) and I will have confirmation of onward travel out of China within the time limit. However, the onward journey out of China involves changing trains in Beijing to travel to Mongolia. How does this impact on the the restriction of not being able to visit cities outside of the administrative regions? I technically don't want to visit Beijing, it just happens to be where I need to change trains for my onward journey? Does this still constitute part of my onward travel or would I be classed as going out of the area and therefore need a tourist visa? Thanks

Answers (1)
Answered by Mike from Serbia | Nov. 22, 2016 21:48
Jam, if you travel like that, you won’t be eligible for the 144 hour free transit in Shanghai. You need to apply for a transit G type or tourist L type entry permit for your travel in advance.
Related Questions:
Hello, 144 hour visa free
Asked by Asa Shaw from United Kingdom
| Aug. 13, 2018 20:04
Cruise Singapore to Shanghai
Asked by Fred Barlow from uN
| Jan. 02, 2017 01:18
i am a british citizen, how do i get a visa for china whilst in Japan?
Asked by alicia holmes from Britain
| Aug. 31, 2012 03:57
72 hr visa for Shanghai
Asked by Alastair Pullan from United Kingdom
| Jun. 23, 2016 12:23
Can I only fly to and from Shanghai for the 72 hour visa from Japan as a US...
Asked by Emma from USA
| Oct. 23, 2014 01:17
Two 72 hour entry visas in one month?
Asked by susi from Uk
| Jan. 21, 2014 20:10
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)