Asked by Jessica from United States | Jul. 24, 2016 14:57
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit FAQ

Do I need a temporary visa stay permit? (Jessica from San Francisco)

Hi, this my first time traveling overseas from San Francisco, United States to Shanghai Pudong; where I will have a 5 hour layover before I depart into Tokyo, Japan. I will be in Japan for 10 days. Then I will fly from Tokyo, Japan to Shanghai Pudong where I will have 3 hour layover an then fly back to San Francisco, United States. Just inquiring if I will need an entry permit to get into Japan an another one to get back into the United States? I'm American do I qualify for 24-72hour free transit during this time? Or Am I required to apply for a temporary stay permit?

Answers (1)
Answered by William from Finland | Jul. 25, 2016 21:55
Jessica, you don’t need to apply for any entry permit because you can use the 24 hour direct transit in Shanghai for both legs of your trip. If you will stay at the airport, you don’t need to apply for a temporary stay permit. But if you want to leave the airport, a temporary stay permit is needed.
Related Questions:
Stopover in Beijing. San Francisco-Tokyo-Beijing-Singapore-Thailand-San Fra...
Asked by Alvin from United States
| Dec. 07, 2017 21:35
Stay 4 days in Shanghai and then going to my final destination via Kunming ...
Asked by pat from USA
| Dec. 10, 2017 20:28
Do I need a visa from Guam to Manila for two hour layover then to Shanghai ...
Asked by Sean from USA
| Jul. 27, 2017 21:12
I'm traveling from San Francisco to New Dehli India. I have 2 lay overs in ...
Asked by KJ from USA
| Dec. 03, 2015 21:48
I have a layover in China for 12 hours on my way to Bangkok from San Franci...
Asked by Mikaela from USA
| Aug. 20, 2016 02:17
US to beijing 70 hr trip, can i qualify to get a 72 hr visa on arrival?
Asked by Jason Theuma Theuma from United States
| Jan. 30, 2016 20:00
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)