Asked by IlseG from Japan-Belgium | May. 25, 2016 22:05
About:China Visa

Transit Visa or Transit Permit necessary for 6 day transit stay in Shanghai?

I'm a Belgian citizen living in Japan (valid 5 year Japanese Residence Permit + valid Belgian Passport). I will travel home to Belgium for summer holidays with my 13 yr old son around mid June. We will travel to Brussels via Shanghai and want to take 5 or 6 days to visit the city. If we have confirmed onward flights to Brussels and we don't stay longer than 6 days, do we need a Transit G type or Transit Permit? If yes, do we need to obtain that from the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo or can we just get it at the border when we enter China? How much will it cost? Thank you for your help. IG

Answers (1)
Answered by Miguel from Singapore | May. 26, 2016 20:33
If you stay in Shanghai for no more than 6 days, you are eligible for the 144 hour free transit. In this case, the transit G visa is not needed. You can just apply for the free transit at the airport immigration inspection office when you get off from the plane. It is free of charge. But you should inform the carrier that you want to use the 144 hour free transit before you board the plane in Japan.
Related Questions:
Hi. I am going to visit shanghai below schedule. Can i get 144 visa?
Asked by Mike from Republic of Korea
| Oct. 10, 2018 00:47
Visa concerning, arriving in Pudong Int. airport Shanghai, one night Shangh...
Asked by tony from the netherlands
| Oct. 12, 2016 21:45
is a 144 visa available for this route
Asked by carole Curtis from 2020
| Oct. 06, 2018 15:46
Chicago to Shanghai to Hong Kong without a Visa?
Asked by Daniel from USA
| Oct. 17, 2016 22:43
Hong Kong - Shanghai -Dubai (with 80 minute layover in Hong Kong airport)
Asked by Mark Rogers from United Arab Emirates
| Aug. 09, 2018 06:43
Stay 4 days in Shanghai and then going to my final destination via Kunming ...
Asked by pat from USA
| Dec. 10, 2017 20:28
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)