Asked by Wayne Mason from USA | Feb. 01, 2016 22:45
About:144-Hour Visa-Free Transit

Do cruise ship passengers visiting Shanghai for a day qualify for the visa exemption

I am a US citizen visiting Shanghai for one day on a cruise that starts in Japan and ends in Hong Kong from where i will fly back to the US. Will I need a Chinese entry permit for my day in Shanghai? Does it matter where the ship is arriving from our sailing to? Will the cruise line handle any required notice for passengers similar to the airlines?

Answers (1)
Answered by Arturo from Italy | Feb. 02, 2016 20:35
Wayne, in principle, you don’t need a Chinese entry permit to Shanghai because you are eligible for the 144 hour free transit. But in real practice, you’d better contact with the cruise ship and confirm that.
After your transit in Shanghai, you should go to a third region or country which is different from that you come in.
The cruise line will handle the relevant procedures similar to that when transiting by air.
Related Questions:
Do cruise ship passengers visiting Bejing & Shanghai (not getting off ship)...
Asked by Sylvia Weller from USA
| May. 31, 2016 21:02
Is a Visa required for cruise ship passengers visiting Xingang (Beijing), C...
Asked by Mr.Gillespie from USA
| Mar. 27, 2011 01:56
Flying to Shanghai, then pick up cruise ship.
Asked by Tony Ashworth from United Kingdom
| Mar. 27, 2018 20:35
I am Australian and will be on a cruise ship which will be visiting Shangha...
Asked by Mr.Martin from Australia
| Dec. 21, 2009 00:37
I will be visiting Shanghai on a cruise ship but will not go ashore. Do I n...
Asked by Jack Parker from USA
| Sep. 22, 2015 21:29
Visa Exemption for 11hrs in Shanghai if we arrive on cruise ship?
Asked by Stan from Australia
| May. 20, 2012 03:44
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)