Asked by Shirley Kwan from China | Nov. 01, 2015 04:56
About:Chinese Consulate in Toronto

Canadian citizenship authentication

I reside nowadays in Shanghai and I wish to apply for permanent stay in China. To meet the Chinese government's requirement, I was told I need to authenticate my Criminal Record Check and Canadian citizenship documents in PRC Embassy in Canada.

In order to do so, I would like your help in advising the following questions:

(1) Do I need to show up in person for the notarizaton and authentication? If positive, where is your Consulate address in Toronto? Do I need to set up appointment ahead of time? What is the contact number for appointment?
(2) Does your office provide notarization and authentication for citizenship documents? How long does the process take? Will I be able to receive all document within the same day?
(2) How do you charge for each document?
(3) In the case of the new permanent stay regulation adopted in PRC, would you know what Canadian identification papers need to be authenticated?

Answers (1)
Answered by Theretha from Canada | Nov. 01, 2015 21:28
Hi there!
1. You can show up in person or entrust others to submit the documents for authentication. The notarization should be conducted by a local notary public and the Canadian Foreign Affairs Ministry or its designated authorities. You don’t need to make an appointment. The consulate is located in 240 St George st Toronto ON M5R 2N5.
2. The consular office only offers authentication services for non-Chinese citizens. It doesn’t offer notarization services for you. The authentication process takes four working days normally. If you apply for the rush service, you can collect your documents on the next day.
3. The regular service charges 30 Canadian dollars for each document. If you apply for express service, you need to pay extra 35 dollars. If you apply for rush service, you need to pay extra 50 dollars.
4. For all I know, you don’t have to authenticate your Canadian passport. But you should have a non-criminal record notarized and authenticated.
Related Questions:
Spouse Canadian citizen born in China 50 years ago; have no Chinese paperwo...
Asked by Naomi from Canada
| Apr. 07, 2015 21:55
Do I need to apply China visa if I am a Canadian with dual citizenship of H...
Asked by Kenneth
| Oct. 09, 2012 02:37
I would like to give up my Canadian citizenship and get back my Chinese cit...
Asked by Mr.Wang from Canada
| Apr. 30, 2010 04:45
Can a person regain his/her Chinese nationality if 1) he used to be a Chin...
Asked by Mr.Fish from Canada
| Jan. 08, 2011 03:09
Notarizing/authenticating a Malawian birth certificate
Asked by Erin MacDonald from Canada
| May. 24, 2012 02:15
I'm Canadian and my girlfriend is Chinese. I would like to get married in t...
Mr.KRIZPY86 from Mars
| Mar. 24, 2010 23:05
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)