Asked by Filipa from Spain | May. 20, 2015 00:17
About:Tibet Travel

We are backpackers and we like visit Amdo and Kham of Tibet

I read that we don't need travel guide for this places. It's true? Which the itinerary that you recommend?

Thank you

Answers (6)
Answered by Susan from Denmark | May. 20, 2015 02:31
I'm afraid not. Foreigners going to any part of that region should join a tour through a Chinese travel agency and apply for the TBT Travel Permit first.
I'm not clear about the itinerary. You can ask help for the Forum/Community of this website. There would be some people who can provide some help.
Answered by Maya from Denmark | Aug. 02, 2015 12:04
Amdo and Kham is not a part of TAR, Tibetan Autonomous Region.

Amdo and Kham regions are to be found outside of TAR in the provinces of Qinghai, western and northern Sichuan, southwest Gansu and northwest Yunnan.

Amdo and Kham regions are some of the best places to observe traditional Tibetan culture because it is not packed with tourists, and here you also see snow-capped peaks, great trekking routes, lots of nomadic culture, over a thousand monasteries, stunning grasslands.

I often travel to Tibet because of work. I love Tibetan culture and the local people. Unfortunately, TAR is becoming very much tourist-crowded-likely, whereas in Amdo and Kham, you will practically be alone among the local Tibetans there.

I hope this could help you.

My next destination is Labrang.
Answered by Adriana from Netherlands | Sep. 17, 2016 11:30
Not sure if this is still relevant for you, but we just returned from a month long visit to Amdo and Kham region. You do not need permits to travel, but given the political sensitivity of the area, it happens that the police decides to close certain areas for non-Chinese or restricts the hostels/ hotels you are allowed to stay in as a nonChinese. You do not necessarilly need a guide (not obligatory, as in TAR), but an English speaking guide might be able to open doors for you, allowing you to visit places and meet people you would not visi / meet otherwise. On the other hand: a good guide is rather expensive and if you are travelling an a budget: there is certainly no need for it. People in the area are in general very kind, open and curious and you will be in contact with them if you are open to it. In case you are interested in a guide, let me know, I could give you reference of the -very nice- guide we had.
Answered by PILAR | May. 02, 2018 08:49
Hi Filipa,

Could you give us the contact of the guide you mention on the post, please?

Answered by Jane from France | May. 02, 2018 21:37
Hi, I had a trip there several months ago and I joined a tour of TravelChinaGuide. This travel agency provides nice tour guides what made me very satisfied. If interested, their contact information is
Answered by ebba from Denmark | Jul. 31, 2019 11:18
Hi, I am planning a trip with one of my friends to the amdo and Kham region, is there any chance you could just outline your travel itinerary. I speak chinese pretty well. We would really like to take buses from around the plateau - hike/take the bus through beautiful landscape, see monarstaries and old villages on the way and sleep local places, just experience the local culture without other tourists. It is just so hard to find any information online, about which small villages on the plateau that are accessible by bus and where it is possible to stay the night.
Related Questions:
We would like to visit Tibet while we are in China, can we get permits for ...
Asked by Robyn from Australia
| May. 01, 2012 20:58
My wife and I are planning a trip to China in November 2011, we will be fly...
Asked by Mr.mark from usa
| Jan. 16, 2011 20:48
hello, we are planning to visit China on 20th November and we vill stay onl...
Asked by Mr.Marina from Croatia
| Nov. 03, 2010 04:42
We plan to travel to Tibet on the 16 Dec. is it too cold to visit?
Asked by Pyi from Malaysia
| Oct. 30, 2016 22:08
We are going to Shanghai in June to visit the exhibition. We would like to ...
Asked by Mr.Janko from Slovakia
| Mar. 21, 2009 04:05
Hi! My mum and I both hold singapore passports. We would like to visit Tib...
Asked by Mrs.Joan from Singapore
| Jun. 15, 2009 01:43
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)