Asked by Lily from Spain | Mar. 30, 2015 00:19
About:China Private Visit Visa

apply at the local police station for a Temporary Residence Permit

Something missing in most Visa Information pages is that once entered China, depending on the circumstances, visitors must apply at the local police station for a Temporary Residence Permit.
I've read in various posts that S2 holders don't need to, but that's not the current case. I guess laws change constantly.
So as far as I know, S2 holders do still have to register at the police station within 72h after entering China for a temporary residence permit (a paper) with the documentation of the address they are going to stay (either hotel or apartment contract). Moreover this, they'll also have to apply for some other "residence card", even though their stay is supposed to be under 180 days.
One of my friends did have the paper, but once he tried to update his address to a new apartment, police officers hold his passport to fine him (in order to avoid 2 weeks of jail) as that paper was not enough.

Could someone please confirm the steps to follow once arriving in China? How are those paperwork called in Chinese? As most local officers do not speak English.

Thanks in advance

Answers (1)
Answered by Grace from China | Mar. 31, 2015 03:40
Lily, as far as I know, foreigners enter mainland China with all types of entry permits should go to the local police station within 24 hours after entering to apply for a temporary residence permit if they don’t stay at a hotel. After arriving at the police station, you need to provide your passport and entry permit for registration. The paper is called Registration Form of Temporary Residence, “临时住宿登记表 (Lin Shi Zhu Su Deng Ji Biao” in Chinese.
Related Questions:
Have a long term (3 years) X visa issued in Nanjing and want to rent an apa...
Asked by Antonio from China
| Sep. 09, 2015 01:28
local police registration
Asked by jayfuentes from Philippines
| Sep. 06, 2016 22:29
Hey, I'm currently holding an L visa (Tourist VISA) and I have to re-apply ...
Asked by Mr.Justin from Philippines
| Mar. 17, 2011 02:23
Temporary Residency Permit
Asked by Sammy from China
| Jul. 18, 2016 22:50
How can I obtain a family reunion resident permit for up to 5 years.
| Dec. 05, 2013 01:39
Urgent!! I'm a Singaporean, I've arrived in Beijing for at least 20 days...
Asked by Ms.Kathy from SIngapore
| Jul. 09, 2010 02:50
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)