Asked by Jocelyn Silver from Canada | Feb. 12, 2014 10:08
About:China Visa Entries / Validity / Duration of Stay

Chinese student travelling from Canada to Nepal stopping in Hong Kong for a day - Need Visa?

I am a travel agent and have a school group going to Nepal. One of the students is an exchange student from China holding a Chinese passport. The group plans on stopping in Hong Kong in each direction and will be there for less than 24 hours and will be taking tours. Does the chinese student need one???
Thanks Jocelyn

Answers (3)
Answered by Leo from USA | Feb. 13, 2014 00:58
Yes, Chinese passport holders need to obtain an entry permit from Chinees embassy or consulate in advance.
Answered by Jocelyn Silver from Canada | Feb. 13, 2014 08:14
I also sent an email to the Immigration Dept of the Govt of Hong Kong who replied differently, here is the answer I received from the Director of Immigration;

Chinese passport holders who are in transit through Hong Kong to and from another country or territory (e.g. Canada » HKSAR » Mainland China and Mainland China » HKSAR » Canada or Canada » HKSAR » Nepal ) may be granted a stay of seven days on each landing without the prior need to obtain an entry permit provided that usual immigration requirements are met, including possession of adequate funds to cover the duration of stay in Hong Kong, possession of valid entry facilities for the destination and unless in transit to Mainland of China, the holding of confirmed onward booking for the overseas journey.
This entry-permit-free transit arrangement aims to facilitate their overseas travel to and from Mainland of China by enabling them to connect flights or stopover in Hong Kong.
Answered by Philip from HK | Feb. 14, 2014 01:48
Hi Jocelyn, the answer by Immigration Dept is correct. Chinese passport holders are allowed free stay of 7 days for transit.
Related Questions:
Chinese Visa. We are UK residents/passport holders
Asked by Lisa from United Kingdom
| Mar. 12, 2018 21:51
Do I need a hongkong Transit Visa?
Asked by Sonam from Nepal
| May. 03, 2012 04:10
72 hours in GZ Canadian passport holder
Asked by Veronica from Canada
| Jul. 24, 2018 02:27
Transit visa for Nepalese passoport holder in China?
Asked by Yam from Canada
| Sep. 28, 2017 01:36
U.S passport holder flying from Seoul to Singapore, cruise ending in Beijin...
Asked by Shannon from USA
| Jan. 24, 2017 20:12
need visa with canadian passport same day from hong kong to shanghai to ca...
| Mar. 22, 2015 01:36
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)