Asked by John from Netherlands | May. 19, 2020 21:33
About:Chinese Embassies and Consulates

L visa extension expiring: what to do after the 2 months' automatic extension?


I have an EU passport and my tourist visa was originally for 53 days. I requested a first extension and got 30 days.
Thereafter the 2 months' automatic extension started and is expiring now.
With all countries still having closed their borders to foreigners, I want to stay in China.
Before Covid-19 it was possible to get an extension to an L visa for a duration that did not exceed the original duration of the visa i.e. 53 days. If I already got 30 days' extension, does that leave 23 days more I can apply for?

1. Will I get another extension?
2. If yes, for how many days' extension should I apply?
3. If I don't get an extension on my L visa, can I change to another type of visa to stay legally?
4. Which other type(s) of visa is (are) possible and what are the requirements to get that it (them)?
5. If I don't get another type of visa and I overstay on my L visa, what is the punishment (during Covid-19 it is reportedly mitagated)? Whichever is the punishment, do they put a stamp in my passport that I overstayed?
6. Is there anything else I should know in order to stay?

Thank you for your elaborate answers,
stay healthy!

Answers (1)
Answered by Wendy from United Kingdom | May. 20, 2020 19:35
John, you need to go to the local exit and entry administration to apply for another 30-day extension. It's not very likely to change your L visa to another type. If you overstay on your L visa, you will be required to pay a fine of CNY 500 per day and may get blacklisted. They may put a stamp if you overstay. Therefore, the best thing you can do is to get a visa extension as possible as you can.
Related Questions:
How many extension can I apply for ..? With the L visa in china.. Is it 2 t...
Asked by Paul from Chile
| Feb. 09, 2018 03:43
I have overstayed my L visa for 2 months, I thought the extension was for 3...
Asked by Mr.michael from australia
| Aug. 07, 2010 03:34
s2 visa for china
Asked by leo from india
| Dec. 27, 2015 20:58
Visa L extension
Asked by Mizi from Malaysia
| Dec. 12, 2017 20:27
I have 3 months L visa for china, and I want 3 months extension is it poss...
Asked by Ruhi from India
| Oct. 10, 2016 01:35
Traveling when visa expires
Asked by Ruth from Australia
| Jan. 05, 2012 01:34
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)