Asked by Percy from Canada | Dec. 17, 2019 22:22

Will I need a visa if I am Canadian from Alberta?

I’m from Alberta going on a cruise with Holland America. I will be with my family flying from Edmonton to Tokyo then Tokyo to Shanghai. The cruise is boarding in Shanghai. Disembark at Hong Kong. Will I be able to layover at Tokyo and go outside, should I stay in the airport? The dates of the cruise is February 29 2020 TIL March 14 2020.

Answers (3)
Answered by CDKing from USA | Dec. 18, 2019 04:15
What is the first port after Shanghai? If it's also Japan you need a visa even if you don't leave the airport in Japan. Also make sure the cruise doesn't visit other Chinese cities as that needs a visa since the cruise starts in China
Answered by Percy from Canada | Dec. 18, 2019 12:58
Thanks for the reply. The next stop after Shanghai is Nagasaki. The plan is to arrive in Japan by the 28 and be in Shanghai by 29 early morning. No we don’t visit any other Chinese cities.
Answered by CDKING from US | Dec. 18, 2019 15:33
Since that is the case you need to apply for tourist (L) visa before your trip. Even though you don't leave the airport in Japan its treated no different than had you stayed in Japan for a whole year. Japan > Shanghai > Japan portion means you are not eligible for visa free transit in China.

The good news is Canadian passport can apply for a multiple entry tourist (L) visa that is valid until their passport expires, for same cost as single entry visa.
Related Questions:
Acquiring China Tourist Visa without returning to Canada
Asked by Douglas from Canada / Philippines
| Feb. 07, 2013 03:35
I am from edmoton, Alberta. so for Edmonton can i mail them my paper work?
Asked by chantelle from canada
| Jan. 18, 2012 00:50
where else can we apply for China Visa aside from Ottawa?
Asked by Angelita SArinas from Canada
| Feb. 09, 2012 00:37
Do I need a Chinese visa if I travel to shanghi?
Asked by Jon Howkins
| Sep. 25, 2012 01:06
Transit Visa for Sri Lankan who has a PR Card in Canada
Asked by Sean from Canada
| Dec. 19, 2015 00:56
I have worked in Harbin, China for 4 yrs before moving here in Alberta. I a...
Asked by Ms.Gail from Philippines
| Feb. 20, 2011 20:37
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)