Asked by Tina Barnes from UK | May. 16, 2016 14:49
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit FAQ

Cruise which calls in to Shanghai for 16 hours

We are UK citizens with UK passports and are taking a cruise from Tokyo to Hong Kong in October 2016. This includes a stop of 16 hours in Shanghai. The cruise company are insisting that we will need entry permits for our day in Shanghai and say that they will not allow us to embark on the cruise without them. However, our reading of the new Visa Waiver regulations suggests that, because we are UK passport holders and will be in Shanghai International Cruise Terminal for less than 72 hours before travelling on to Okinawa, we will not need to have an entry permit. Would be very grateful for a clarification.

Answers (1)
Answered by Peter from New Zealand | May. 16, 2016 21:32
Tina, based on what you said, you can enjoy the 24 hour direct in Shanghai. You can consult with the cruise company again or print out the relevant policy and show it to the company. But if the cruise company still insists, I’m afraid you have to apply for an entry permit, or you will be refused to embark on the cruise.
Related Questions:
Can me and my husband apply for a group visa?
Asked by kathleen Isaako from Australia
| Aug. 19, 2015 02:10
Do U.S.A. Citizens on a cruise that visits Shanghai for 16-hr need visa wit...
Asked by John from USA
| May. 25, 2015 21:35
Cruise calling in at Shanghai
Asked by Tina from United Kingdom
| Aug. 03, 2016 21:53
Cruise Shanghai to HK with staying at Shanghai for 6 hours, so visa require...
Asked by Gerard Carter from England
| Sep. 19, 2014 21:18
NZ passport travel to China by Cruise ship
Asked by Tony Watson from New Zealand.
| Mar. 27, 2017 20:19
Do I require a double entry visa for..
Asked by Marcia from Australia
| Aug. 31, 2012 04:22
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)