Asked by Jeannie from United States | Mar. 18, 2016 16:03
About:Chinese Marriage

My son (US CITIZEN) marrying Chinese girlfriend

My son has been in China for 4 years and is marrying his Chinese girlfriend of 3 years. We went over and have met with her parents who are wonderful people. We agreed to pay for the wedding except the wedding bands, which they are paying for. We are also paying their airfare to come to the US for the ceremony here. There was no mention of the betrothal gift to the parents. Do you think this is still expected?
We cannot afford that on top of everything else!

Answers (1)
Answered by Jennie | Mar. 19, 2016 03:51
Betrothal gift is something very traditional in China. But as it is a marriage between two cultural backgrounds, I think the parents will understand if you do not give it. Maybe you can further talk about it with your son or your daughter in law.
However, I advise you to prepare some souvenirs. It's nothing related to the marriage, but a gift for friends from afar. And if they go to your country for attending the wedding, they may will bring some gifts from China for you too.
Related Questions:
marriage question
Asked by
| Apr. 09, 2012 03:44
How do you get a wedding in Canada between a Canadian and Chinese national...
Asked by Sandra Patrick from Canada
| May. 08, 2015 21:39
Appropriate engagement gift for girl from Beijing from mother-in-law
Asked by Mary Logan from Canada
| Oct. 28, 2014 22:03
Can a US citizen obtain a visa to Beijing while visiting in Italy?
| Oct. 18, 2016 22:35
Is there anyway we get married without the family book?
Asked by myprop from Singapore
| May. 06, 2015 00:47
Chinese citizen/US PR traveling to China with US minor child
Asked by ye4jim from USA
| Mar. 11, 2018 22:46
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)