Asked by Cynthia from U.S.A. | Dec. 01, 2015 16:57
About:China Consulate in San Francisco

Why is a U.S. citizen required to submit a Chinese name for tourist visa application?

I am a law abiding US citizen who is making my first trip to China as a tourist. I am asked to provide something I no longer have -- a Chinese name, to obtain an entry permit. As I explained, I don't have a passport or a birth certificate from Taiwan. I have been in the U.S. for more than 30 years and have been a U.S. citizen for more than 20 years. I don't have any documents that contain a Chinese name anymore,

I am also wondering why it is so important to submit a Chinese name? Is this a requirement for all U.S. citizens? Or, is it a discrimination to people with Chinese origin?

PS. Perhaps I missed it, I have not seen any mentioning of submitting a Chinese name on your website.

Please advise any other option. Thank you for your help.

Cynthia Hsieh

Answers (1)
Answered by Kent from USA | Dec. 03, 2015 02:24
Cynthia, this is not a requirement for all US citizens of course. It's just for those who have PRC origin. As I know, China does not recognize dual-citizenship, so the embassy just wants to makes sure that you don't have PRC citizenship by asking for such a documents. I bet it's not a discrimination to people with PRC origin, but some regulations related to policies. I think as far as you can provide some official document containing your Chinese name, it will be accepted. If you can't, you can see whether the hospital in Taiwan where you were born can issue a certificate for you.
Related Questions:
As a US citizen, do I need to submit airline and hotel reservations in orde...
Asked by Barbara from USA
| May. 28, 2014 02:21
China born but no copies of USA naturalization
Asked by AngelaR from USA
| Apr. 21, 2017 23:23
Passport Submission Along With Application
Asked by Tanya Staples from USA
| Jun. 04, 2016 21:48
I was born in Hong Kong but am an American Citizen
Asked by Erinn from USA
| Jul. 18, 2017 01:22
Applying for a Z type from a 3rd country
Asked by D. from USA
| Aug. 02, 2015 04:10
US citizen in Bangkok as tourist needs a tourist visa to China what docume...
Asked by Lou
| Jun. 04, 2014 04:10
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)