Asked by Jill from USA | Nov. 11, 2015 21:42
About:72-Hour Visa-Free Transit FAQ

Eligible for 72 hour transit?

I am flying from San Francisco to Delhi, via Shanghai with a 19 hour layover in Shanghai. I am a US citizen. If I understand correctly, I can use the 72 hour visa free transit and leave the airport, see Shaghai, spend the night in a local hotel, and then fly out the next day (in that 19 hour layover). Is that correct? There is nothing to fill out in advance, other than perhaps alerting the airline?

Answers (1)
Answered by Lexi from USA | Nov. 12, 2015 03:08
Jill, you don't need to use the 72 hour transit because you layover period is only 19 hours. The 24-hour direct transit policy is available. You don't need to tell the airline in advance. If you want to leave the airport, you can apply for a temporary stay permit at the immigration counter.
Related Questions:
Canada - Shanghai - Hong Kong - Canada
Asked by BC from Canada
| Jan. 10, 2014 02:52
Arrive Shanghai by cruise ship in morning and depart by plane to Sydney in ...
Asked by TM from Australia
| Jan. 20, 2017 23:59
flying barcelona to tokyo with flight change in Xiamen
Asked by jeremy from USA
| Oct. 24, 2015 21:21
I'm a us citizen flying from Australia into Beijing and flying out to Hong ...
Asked by Darren from USA
| Apr. 19, 2017 19:34
We are travelling from UK to Hong Kong then flying to Beijing for a few day...
Asked by Aud from UK
| Aug. 28, 2016 21:41
Flight with 2 layovers in China
Asked by Alycia from USA
| Feb. 03, 2018 01:47
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)