Asked by Alex from Malaysia | Nov. 29, 2014 04:08
About:Dual Nationality

Can my chinese wife convert my daughter nationality to Chinese without my consent?

I am a Malaysian and my wife is a Chinese. Our daughter is born in China but we registered her as a Malaysian citizen at the Malaysian Embassy. When my daughter was born, the hospital issued her a birth certificate as we need the certificate to register at the embassy. After we registered her at the embassy, she was issued a Malaysian birth certificate. Presently my daughter holds a Malaysian international passport and also identification card. Now we are facing some marital problems. My wife plans to go back to China for the coming new year and my daughter visa permits her stay for a maximum of 6 months. I am worried that she may not bring my daughter back to Malaysia.

Q1. Can my wife convert or apply for the Chinese citizenship for my daughter without my consent? I was told that since my daughter has a birth certificate issued by the local hospital there, my wife can easily change her citizenship as she can put my daughter name in her "hukou". Is this true?

Q2. Can she apply the citizenship base on jus sanguinis ("right of blood") since the mother is a Chinese citizen?

Answers (1)
Answered by Adam from India | Nov. 29, 2014 21:20
Alex, it's not easy to do that. You should understand that your son already takes Malaysian citizenship. China doesn't admit dual citizenship. If your son wants to become a Chinese citizen, he needs to give up his Malaysian citizenship first.
Related Questions:
Can I work legal with a permanent residence permit?
Asked by guest from China
| Apr. 02, 2012 01:46
My wife has a work Z type, while I have M ,can I convert it to Family visa ...
Asked by Shakeel from Pakistan
| Jun. 03, 2016 03:01
visa on arrival for Bahrain nationality passport and my wife with belarussi...
Asked by ABDULELAH from Bahrain
| Jul. 23, 2012 22:24
How I can convert my tourist visa to M type?
Asked by Melody from France
| Jan. 30, 2015 01:13
I have chinese wife and i am pakistani can i have chinese nationality. this...
Asked by Mr.Raouf Ahmed Siddiqui from Pakistan
| Mar. 29, 2010 21:44
Hi, my nationality nepali, i am working here in saudi. I want to ask with y...
Asked by Mr.LAXMI P. KHAREL from Saudi arab
| Sep. 09, 2009 20:50
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)