Asked by John from USA | Nov. 12, 2012 07:15
About:China Transit Visa

Do I need a visa to transfer through two airports in china on my way to Laos?

Hello. My name is John and I'm an American living in Korea. I am traveling to Lao over Christmas and will be flying through China on my way. I will be only transferring flights in the airports. I will not be leaving the airports. My question is: Do I need to get a visa, transit or nothing at all? My flight details are:

December 21st
Depart Busan Korea China Eastern Airlines
12:35 PM Kimhae (PUS)

Stop 1 Shanghai
1:20 PM Pudong International Airport (PVG) | Terminal 1
Change planes. Time between flights: 7hr 40min

Depart Shanghai China Eastern Airlines
9:00 PM Pudong International Airport (PVG)

Stop 2 Kunming
12:40 AM Kunming Airport (KMG)
Change planes. Time between flights: 12hr 50min

Depart Kunming China Eastern Airlines
1:30 PM Kunming Airport (KMG)

Arrive Vientiane Lao
2:00 PM Wattay (VTE) | Terminal I

Return Sat, Jan 5
Depart Vientiane China Eastern Airlines
2:40 PM Wattay (VTE)

Stop 1 Kunming
5:15 PM Kunming Airport (KMG)
Time between flights: 3hr 55min

Depart Kunming China Eastern Airlines
9:10 PM Kunming Airport (KMG)

Stop 2 Beijing
12:35 AM Beijing International Airport (PEK) | Terminal 2
Change of airlines. Time between flights: 8hr 0min

Depart Beijing Hainan Airlines 7909
8:35 AM Beijing International Airport (PEK)

Arrive Busan Korea
11:35 AM Kimhae (PUS) | Terminal I

Kind Regards,

Answers (1)
Answered by Cody | Nov. 13, 2012 02:45
Hi John, visa is not required as the stopovers in both ways are within 24 hours. You can apply for a stay permit when you firstly stop at Shanghai airport (on your trip to Laos) and Kunming airport (return to Korea). This permit is free of charge.
Related Questions:
I am a Canadian living in Laos for 5 months. I want to visit China on my wa...
Asked by Karen from Canada
| Feb. 15, 2012 20:43
Multiple stops in China en route to Laos
Asked by James Singer from USA
| Sep. 10, 2013 02:20
Confused about the 24 transit
Asked by Benjamin from USA
| Sep. 11, 2016 01:23
China Transit visa requirement for Indians
Asked by Prakash from USA
| Jun. 20, 2013 02:46
Must transit via 2 airports in China to get from countries A to C
Asked by Andrew from Sweden
| Nov. 13, 2017 03:10
Stop and transfer in China
Asked by Ethna from Germany
| Jul. 18, 2018 06:14
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)