Asked by Elizabeth from Canada | Jan. 03, 2012 07:28
About:Chinese Embassy in Canada

Cdn citizen born in China raised in HK. with expired HK id card. How to apply HK reentry permit.

Do I have to apply visa (L) to visit China? In order to get the HK reentry permit, do I have to apply HK smart card first? What's the procedure to apply HK smart card? I have an existing expired HK id card in the year 1979. In order to apply HK smart card, do I need to proof that I have been staying in HK for 7 consecutive years? What if I cannot find any supportive documents, will the existing expired HK id card be good enough?

Answers (1)
Answered by Ms.HELPER from Canada | Jan. 04, 2012 20:58
I'm confused by your question "how to apply HK reentry permit". If you hold a Canadian passport now, you don't need a visa to enter Hong Kong for less than 90 days. You need a L visa to visit Mainland China.

If you only renew your HK ID card (Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card), you can't do it in Canada, you have to go to Hong Kong to renew your HK ID card into HK Smart Card at the Immigration Department of Hong Kong within 30 days after entry. The existing expired HK ID card is good enough, even though your HK ID card expired, you won't lose the the right of residence in Hong Kong.
Related Questions:
What are the requirement, procedures & costs to renew/apply for Hong Kong S...
Asked by B. Lee from Canada
| Jan. 02, 2012 00:26
Do I need to have a visa to Hong Kong? Do I need to get a china visa as wel...
Asked by Ms.Alice from Canada
| Jan. 26, 2010 20:32
I am a citizen of HK and hold a HK ID card, can I enter china without the "...
Asked by Ms.V from Hong Kong
| Jul. 29, 2010 21:29
renew hk id card
Asked by Steven from Australia
| Feb. 01, 2015 03:51
can I apply for a H.K smart card in Canada?
Asked by Jeanie from Canada
| Oct. 28, 2011 04:20
Renew HK SAR Passport
Asked by K Chung from Canada
| Feb. 21, 2012 21:42
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)