Asked by Sam from United Kingdom | Nov. 03, 2019 01:53
About:144-Hour Visa-Free Transit in Guangdong

Thailand - Guilin - Hong Kong

Hi, I want to travel to Yangshuo but with the required travel time back and forward from Guilin (and the specific flight times) i will only get 2 days around Yangshuo in the 72hour period.
Is it permitted to travel away from Guilin and return immediately, to get two different 72hour exemptions in the same week?

Example: HK - Guilin (72hours) - Hanoi (1night stop over)- Guilin (72hours)- Thailand

I have been given flight tickets last minute to HK and so dont have time to get a proper visa (I fly out in 2 days from now)

Answers (5)
Answered by ZUPAN | Nov. 03, 2019 03:23
You are allowed to do that in principle, but there are some details you should be aware of.

1) 72 hour visa free transit allows you in reality a bit more time that you have mentioned because it is: day of arrival + 72 hours. In other words, if your flights are convenient, you can arrive in the morning of your arrival day and the 72 hour clock starts ticking at the beginning of the following day
2) The greatest problem for your itinerary, that is theoretically ideal, is the fact, at least as far as I know, that there are no direct flights from Guilin to Hanoi and vice versa and that makes your entire plan impossible to perform. You can maybe replace Hanoi with Taipei:

HK - Guilin - Taipei - Guilin - Thailand
Answered by ZUPAN | Nov. 04, 2019 13:10
Sam, I have to correct myself because 72 hour visa free transit in Guilin starts exactly at the moment of your arrival and not from the next day of your arrival. Having this in mind, you have to reprogram your schedule to fit the mentioned rule in Guilin in the same way as you have to do with your flights.
Answered by Sam from United Kingdom | Nov. 05, 2019 01:29

Are you sure about this? I have seen on various websites:

"The 72-hour limit is calculated starting from 00:00 the day after arrival. For example, if a traveler arrives at Guilin Liangjiang Airport on August 1, 2019, the visa exemption period is calculated starting from 00:00 on August 2, 2019. The traveler must leave Guiiln Liangjiang Airport before 23:59 on August 4, 2019 on an international flight."

Is there an official Chinese website that tells you 100%? As obviously I don't want to accidentally break the visa rule, or get stuck/miss flight etc.
Answered by ZUPAN | Nov. 05, 2019 13:27
I was confident that Guilin 72 hour visa free transit starts in the way as you have mentioned. Anyway, just a day ago one of great contributors to this website, under the user name "John Doe" has mentioned that this logic as you have explained above is not valid for Guilin and Harbin. To be honest, I respect his knowledge and that is the reason why I have written my additional post. Anyway, it is true as you say that there are no confirmations that John Doe was right. In any case, I would suggest you to call Guilin Frontier Inspection Station: +86-0773-3603750. I know, the calls to China could be expensive, but in my opinion, you will get a first hand official information. I apologize for any inconvenience, but I just wanted to offer you the best available information.
Answered by Sam from United Kingdom | Nov. 08, 2019 01:21
Thanks thats a helpful response, I will contact them - as I am in Macau already maybe the phone charge won't be excessive
Related Questions:
best way to travel from Guilin to Hong Kong?
| Nov. 12, 2016 20:13
is there visa required to travel from hong kong to guilin?
Asked by Ms.verna from usa
| Jun. 02, 2010 23:05
Do I need a transit visa at Hong Kong for few hours?
Asked by from India
| Jun. 11, 2013 01:48
is there train from guilin to hong kong and how long is trip
Asked by p obrien from australia
| Feb. 27, 2014 01:27
what's the best way to travel from Guilin to Hong Kong?
Asked by Lynn from USA
| Jun. 07, 2014 22:46
train from hong kong to guilin
Asked by mr robert from United Kingdom
| Jul. 03, 2011 03:33
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)