Asked by Shane Ullman from Australia | Oct. 24, 2016 22:35
About:Dual Nationality

I am currently applying for my Baby's Australian passport, he already has Australian Citizenship.

My wife is Chinese and he was born in China, so he is automatically Chinese.

We plan to fly to Australia on the 30th of November. I believe we need to apply for a "blue book" in order to legally take him out of China, is that a long process?
We will likely get the passport in the first week of November, so will only have around 3 weeks to get the blue book. Is that enough time?

Also, I gave him an English name on his birth certificate. The authorities say that he cannot have a Chinese Hukou because his name is not Chinese. Is there any way to give him a Chinese name? I want to apply for the Shanghai Hukou. It is my understanding that he can be a dual citizen until he is 18 years old.

We are based in Shanghai.

Answers (1)
Answered by Maggie from New Zealand | Oct. 25, 2016 22:52
According to my knowledge, dual nationality is not recognised in PRC. So, I'm afraid your baby cannot have a Chinese Hukou after having an Australian passport.
I’m not sure about what the blue book means. But I heard that he may need the Entry and Exit Permit to go to Australia this time. First, you need to take your baby's birth certificate and passport, your passport, your wife's ID card and Hukou to the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau to get a nationality exam form. Then use these documents to apply for the Chinese Entry and Exit Permit.
Generally, the whole procedure should take around one week.
Related Questions:
can we get visas for us to visit china on a holiday for 5 days?
Asked by frayco from sri lanka
| Sep. 25, 2015 22:41
i am a indian national and currently a permanent resident in australia(but ...
Asked by Mr.Gurpreet from India
| Nov. 15, 2010 03:29
Hi, my brother has an Australian passport and is currently in Beijing on a ...
Asked by Mr.Nina from Australia
| Jun. 04, 2009 04:16
if i am applying for a visa by post do I need to also send my Australian pa...
Asked by Kaye Challinger from Australia
| Apr. 30, 2014 04:27
Australian citizen living in Germany, need a chinese visa!
Asked by Stef from Australia
| Jul. 18, 2012 04:59
Does my son (holding australian passport) need to apply visa to enter china...
Asked by GiGi from Australia
| Mar. 22, 2015 02:01
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)