Asked by Jay from Switzerland | Apr. 27, 2016 08:54
About:China Embassy in Switzerland

Urgent visa needed

Dear, I already booked ticket and hotel for Shanghai for the 3rd May and back on the 09th May for holidays.
I am French but I live in Basel, Switzerland.. So I don't know what to do to get my visa-
I tried to call, no way to get someone on the phone; I tried email, the auto email reply is saying to go check the website but the website is not working.

So I am in a big hurry and completely lost.
Can you help?

Best regards

Answers (8)
Answered by Mitchell from Sweden | Apr. 27, 2016 22:08
Jay, you need to apply for a tourist L type for your visit to PRC. Firstly, you should prepare the required documents including your passport and its photocopy, the filled-out application form, a passport-style photo, your residence permit in Switzerland, as well as accommodation reservation and round trip air tickets. Next, submit your application to the embassy of PRC to apply for it. Usually, it takes 4 working days. But you can choose the rush service which takes one working day or express service which takes 2 working days. Because your travel time is from 3rd May to 9th May, you are advised to apply as soon as possible and the embassy will be closed on 2nd May.
Answered by Jay from France | Apr. 28, 2016 02:51
Hi I found that I can get the 144h visa at the airport as I am staying 5nights. So this should be ok?
Answered by Mitchell from Sweden | Apr. 28, 2016 03:24
It depends on which country you fly in and which country you will fly to after the stay in Shanghai. If they are two different countries, it's possible for you to enjoy the 144-hour free transit policy.
Answered by Jay from Suisse | Apr. 28, 2016 03:31
Yes :)

3rd go: Basel to Amsterdam to Shanghai
9th Return: Shanghai to Amsterdam to Basel
Is that then ok?
Answered by Mitchell | Apr. 28, 2016 04:48
I'm afraid not because you fly in from Amsterdam to Shanghai and then back to Amsterdam.
Answered by J from Suisse | Apr. 28, 2016 11:19
So if I change my ticket to something like this will it work? :
Example : SUISSE- Amsterdam- Shanghai (5days) -Beijing- Amsterdam- SUISSE ?

Example : SUISSE- Amsterdam- Shanghai (5days) -x country as long as it's not Shanghai - Amsterdam- SUISSE ?

If not,
Is there a way to have the visa at the airport at Shanghai? I am stuck the only thing I can do is change a part of my ticket to change one arrival but I can't change all and my hotel already paid anyway.
I could not get to reach the embassy and anyway they can't do it in one day..
Any suggestions ? ;(
Answered by J from Switzerland | Apr. 28, 2016 11:44
Or sorry would that be ok:
Example : Switzerland - Amsterdam- Shanghai (144hours) - Amsterdam- Switzerland - France ?

(can it be train from Switzerland to Paris, France or does it need to be a flight?)
Answered by Mitchell | Apr. 29, 2016 01:25
If you travel on this route: SUISSE- Amsterdam- Shanghai (5days) -Beijing- Amsterdam- SUISSE, the 144 hour free transit is not applicable.
After transiting in Shanghai, you should fly to a third country or region, so the X country shouldn’t be a city in PRC.
For example, if you fly to HK after stopping in Shanghai, the 144 hour free transit can be used. You can take a train to Paris from Switzerland.
Related Questions:
Can apply 2 working days urgent china visa or 1 working days top urgent chi...
Asked by Mr.Chan from Doha
| Apr. 02, 2009 22:16
How can I get by ferry or boat from Luzhou to Chongqing?
Asked by Stefan from Germany
| Aug. 25, 2012 22:51
Hong Kong VISA for Myanmar official passport holder
Asked by Julia Myint from Myanmar
| Dec. 04, 2011 22:07
If need transit in harbin layout 5hours to Krasnoyarsk ...but don't have vi...
Asked by Koh from Malaysia
| Aug. 28, 2014 22:30
Thanks very much for your urgent reply. please, can you list for me the nec...
Asked by Mr.Samson from Russia
| Jan. 09, 2011 21:59
i am from bangalore,KARNATAKA, INDIA. i need to apply for working visa in c...
Asked by Mr.sudhir from india
| Oct. 16, 2009 22:00
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)