Asked by Thomas Fitzgerald from United States | Oct. 28, 2015 12:11
About:China Embassy in U.S.A.

confused about entry permit requirements


I am trying to plan a trip to China, Hong Kong, and Macau in March, and am slightly confused as to the visa requirements.

Right now, it looks like we will arrive in Shanghai (PVG) and then directly go onto Hong Kong without leaving the airport. However, this might change, and we might stay the night in Shanghai. When we return to the US, we are probably going to fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai again, and stay in Shanghai for a night or two, but less than 72 hours, before returning to the US (see draft itinerary below).

From what I understand, this would NOT require a full entry permit, only a travel type. Is this correct? Do we need to apply for this beforehand? We are trying to book this soon, so we would very much appreciate your assistance. Thank you,

Tom Fitzgerald

12 March: LAX - PVG
12 March: PVG - HKG
19 March: HKG - PVG
21 March: PVG - DTW

Answers (1)
Answered by Rose from Italy | Oct. 30, 2015 03:06
Hi Thomas, you don't need to apply the entry permit as the 24-hour/72-hour free transit policy works for you on both legs of the trip. On your way to HK, if you stay in Shanghai for less than 24 hours, you don't need to do anything in advance. On your way back to the US, before your flight arrives in Shanghai, you should tell the attendant you want to use this policy and ask her/him to report this for you.
Related Questions:
i am a student in Shandong province of China. i am from India and my friend...
Asked by Regalia from India
| Jul. 26, 2016 03:25
Travelling to Shenzhen for 24 hours then Shanghai for three days from Thail...
Asked by Chris Colverd from United Kingdom
| Jan. 02, 2016 00:29
singaporean passport holders can enjoy free entry to PRC?
Asked by soh from Singapore
| May. 10, 2016 02:29
Visa to Shanghai. Thank you very much
Asked by Kevin from USA
| Jul. 22, 2018 19:32
china visa for a canadian in thailand
Asked by sebastien from Canada
| Jan. 06, 2016 20:10
Father-in-law is a USA citizen currently in China on a Q2 type.
Asked by AC from USA
| May. 04, 2018 01:43
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)