Asked by Mark from USA | May. 13, 2015 02:21
About:China Embassy in Canada

How to go from old Hong Kong ID card to smart ID card and/or passport?

I still have my old ID card issued in the 1960's and I am a US citizen. Could I apply for a smart ID card and/or HK passport at a Chinese Embassy? What documents would be required? Thanks for any advice.

Answers (1)
Answered by Michelle from USA | May. 14, 2015 03:03
Yes, you can apply for the HK passport and ID card at the embassy.

Documents needed for applying the passport:
•Form ID 843
•Three recent colour photographs with white background
•Fee payment form (Form ID 853) for HKSAR Passport

Documents needed for applying the ID card:
•Your birth certificate if you were born in Hong Kong.
•Proof of your previous residence in Hong Kong such as school documents, proof of employment, official receipts or bank statements if you have ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than 7 years.
•Your birth certificate and parent’s permanent identity card if you claim the right of abode in Hong Kong by virtue of your parent’s status in Hong Kong.
•Two recent identical photographs
•The old ID card
•Form ROP144
Related Questions:
To update my Hong Kong ID card (Asked by Elaine)
Asked by Elaine from Canada
| Nov. 15, 2011 21:50
can I apply for a H.K smart card in Canada?
Asked by Jeanie from Canada
| Oct. 28, 2011 04:20
Please advise what procedure to apply the HK SAR passport in Toronto?
Asked by Shirley from Canada
| Jul. 27, 2012 02:29
US citizen with an old Hong Kong ID card (issued in the 1983) for HKSAR pas...
Asked by Frank from USA
| Apr. 19, 2013 03:41
Renew/replace Hong Kong old ID card in China consulate in Toronto
Asked by Torontonian from Canada
| Sep. 27, 2011 03:53
What are the requirement, procedures & costs to renew/apply for Hong Kong S...
Asked by B. Lee from Canada
| Jan. 02, 2012 00:26
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)