Asked by yuvak tuladhar from USA | Sep. 13, 2013 12:08
About:Shanghai Travel

Do I need visa when in transit in China to change airport from PVG to SHA?

I am traveling with my wife from SFO San Francisco to KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal). I am a US citizen and my wife is a Nepali citizen. We are flying to Shanghai PVG and then taking flight from SHA to Kunming (KMG) and flying from there to Kathmandu (KTM). Total layover between SHA to KMG is 5.5 hours. Once we reach Kunmig there is about 14 hours of layover time. Total layover time in China is about 19 hours.
Now my question is do we need any form of visa for this trip? Please let us know so that we can plan our trip accordingly. Thank you in advance.

Answers (5)
Answered by Collan from Germany | Sep. 13, 2013 23:02
Yes, you need visas.
Answered by hz from USA | Sep. 14, 2013 15:27
May be not according rule of exempted from a visa "stay only in the airport for no more than 24 hours and has a valid connecting ticket with confirmed seating on an international "
Answered by hz from USA | Sep. 14, 2013 15:32
Also, without visa for 72 hours is allowed on direct transit via Beijing Capital Airport, SH Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport,.....
Answered by yuba from Nepal | Jul. 17, 2017 02:33
can you share your experience Yuvak. I am also travelling similar flight, from new York to shanghai pvg, transfer to SHA, and cunming and kathmandu. I am holding nepali passport. I took ticket online, and now some friends scaring me about transit visa, baggage collection in PVG. Can you share your experience?
Answered by Sara from Germany | Jul. 20, 2017 20:06
Hi, Yuba. According to your situation, your layover in China will not be over 24 hours, so you don’t need a transit visa. As for your baggage collecting, you can check in your baggage in New York and apply to send them to your last destination directly.
Related Questions:
How will I transfer PVG to SHA ? Is there any free shuttle bus service for ...
Asked by Kinsuk Giri from India
| Sep. 16, 2012 03:02
transit visa in shanhai between (sha) and (pvg) needed?
Asked by mei from israel
| Feb. 07, 2013 21:46
Arriving in PVG and Departing from SHA
Asked by Jeanie Lee from USA
| Sep. 27, 2016 01:38
Do I need VISA to avail the conneting flight from SHA?
Asked by Avishek Saha from India
| Jan. 07, 2015 01:11
Hello. I am a Malaysian passport holder. I have a trip from Detroit to Sing...
Asked by Mr.Leong from Malaysia
| Feb. 24, 2010 01:43
I'm flying off from Singapore to Seoul and transiting in China
Asked by Drei from Philippines
| Mar. 14, 2013 01:06
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)