Asked by T. from Canada | Aug. 01, 2012 21:25
About:China Embassy in Canada

New Application for HK Smart ID


My brother and I would like to apply for an HK smart ID. My mother was born in HK, however we are Canadian citizens, born in South America. We are a little confused as to the process.

1. I read many times that we cannot obtain an HK smart ID in Canada without applying for an HKSAR passport as well. We don't really want an HKSAR passport ... Can we apply only for the HK smart ID in HK? (We will be visiting HK in September.)

2. If we must apply for an HKSAR passport as well, can we keep our Canadian citizenship and have dual citizenship?

Thank you!

Answers (1)
Answered by Daphne | Aug. 03, 2012 04:06
You can apply for a HK smart ID card only within 30 days after you enter HK in September. But sorry I am not sure if you are eligible for HKSAR passport. It requires the applicant with permanent residency in HKSAR.
Related Questions:
can i new my old hk permanet id card to new hk smart card at vancouver chin...
Asked by v tham from vanada
| Mar. 21, 2012 21:08
GOVHK - Applying HK Smart ID Card
Asked by Edmond Sit from USA
| May. 08, 2012 02:41
HK ID Card renewed @ Edmonton
Asked by Ho from Canada
| Mar. 20, 2012 04:06
I have Hong Kong Permanent ID, and was born in HK, can I apply for HK Smart...
Asked by Olivia from USA
| Jun. 19, 2012 02:06
Please confirm that you will procees Hong Kong Smart ID application. Thanks...
Asked by Wilson Fok from USA
| Aug. 07, 2012 03:43
Renew HK SAR Passport
Asked by K Chung from Canada
| Feb. 21, 2012 21:42
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)