Asked by Mr.Chapman from Ireland | Dec. 17, 2008 08:42
About:China Embasy in Ireland

Dear Sirs,
I have tried on numerous occasions to contact an official of the visa section regarding my visit, but the phone line between 3-4pm is always engaged. My question is that I went to the visa section on Merrion road yesterday, explained that I will be studying Kung Fu in china, and I did not know whether my trip counted as Tourism or study. Their answer was that I should put it down as study on the form. When I presented an e-mail (from the school to me) to the visa office, explaining that they were willing to have me study there, the person at the desk said that I need an official invitation from the school, stamped by the school. I asked her if I then need form JW202, and I was met with confused looks, eventually saying that I didn't. This seems an odd mixture of a tourist visa and a student visa as regards documentation. I have since e-mailed the school requesting the letter, but as I plan to fly on the first of January, and I guess the visa section shuts down for christmas, I'm not sure if I will be able to process it in time. Is there any information on closing times over Christmas?
As it costs me about as much as the visa would to travel to dublin and stay the night, I am not exactly enthusiastic about repeateed trips of that kind. any information on any of my questions is more than welcome.
Yours sincerely,

Answers (2)
Answered by Ms.Lilian from China | Dec. 18, 2008 00:44
Mr.Chapman, I can't find Notice on Christmas Holiday 2008 realeased by the Embassy of China in Ireland. However, last year, the visa section was closed from 24 to 26 December 2007 (Monday to Wednesday) on the occasion of the Christmas Holiday. So I think the visa section will be closed on these three days.

I think it is right you need apply for Student Visa. I guess that the Kung Fu School is a private commercial entity which is not supervised by the Ministry of Education of China, so the JW-202 form issued by the Ministry of Education of China is not required. Generally speaking, Student Visa is issued to aliens who come to a Public University/ College for study.
Answered by Mr.Chapman from Ireland | Dec. 19, 2008 08:38
Ms. Lilian: That makes perfect sense, I never thought of the private/public difference.
Regarding the Christmas closing times, it seems likely that last year's holidays would apply this year, and as time is pressing, I'm not going to waste any time, so I'll head up there on the 27th. The rush service will come in handy!
My sincere thanks for the information, and the speedy reply!
Related Questions:
Do I have to provide letter of Invitation?
Asked by King L from Australia
| May. 21, 2013 02:23
Is there any application form for PRC for people who live in Lebanon?
Asked by Yara from Lebanon
| Jun. 24, 2016 22:20
Embassy of Indonesia in Wuhan
Asked by Moon from Indonesia
| Sep. 05, 2017 01:59
Dear Sirs, We are visiting China for a short holiday at the end of Augus...
Asked by Mrs.Rachel from Britian
| Jul. 05, 2010 20:39
Dear Sirs, I have been trying to contact you for the past few months re....
Asked by Ms.Tang from Ireland
| Dec. 09, 2008 02:39
Dear Sirs I am trying to get a visa for China and Hong Kong. Is there stil...
Asked by Mr.Sebastian from Kazakhstan
| May. 21, 2009 02:35
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)