Asked by Mr.Tadasmi Koul from India | Nov. 13, 2008 12:47
About:China Embassy in India

i wanted to know if the chinese government allows indian tourists to travel overland into tibet from china? i had heard that it had recently started allowing tourists to visit tibet. i aim to take the qinghai-tibet rail north up towards the coastal cities (including hongkong) and end my journey in beijing. pls advice as to which visa i should apply for?

Answers (4)
Answered by Ms.Eva from China | Nov. 13, 2008 21:23
Mr.Tadasmi Koul, Chinese government allow Indian tourists to travel overland into Tibet from China. Tibet was reopened to foreign tourists from June 26, 2008. You need apply for a Double Entries Tourist Visa (L visa) of China because you first go to mainland of China, then go to Hong Kong and re-enter Mainaland of China. Indian passport holders need not a visa to visit Hong Kong for not more than 14 days.
Answered by Ms.Eva from China | Nov. 13, 2008 21:32
Addition: you should first get a Tibet Entry permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau. It is one requirments of China visa application.
Answered by Mr.Tadasmi Koul from India | Nov. 14, 2008 11:46
Ms. Eva

Thank you for your prompt reply. Just one more query, is it possible for me (as an indian tourist) to travel overland from Nepal into Tibet if I have the Chinese Multiple Entry visa and their required permission from the Tibet Tourism Bureau?
Answered by Ms.Eva from China | Nov. 16, 2008 02:15
Mr. Tadasmi Koul, Chinese Embassy in India is not authorized to issue individual tourist visas to applicants wishing to visit Tibet, China.

Holders of Indian ordinary passports wishing to travel to Tibet in China may join:

A. Pilgrimage Group: Group of pilgrims is organized by Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and authorized Indian travel agencies. The Embassy accepts visa applications of pilgrimage groups submitted by the Ministry of External Affairs and authorized Indian travel agencies only.

B. Ordinary Tourist Group: Tourist group of Indian nationals can be organized by local Indian travel agency with arrangements from CITS Tibet (China International Travel Service, Tibet). Group visa may be issued only after the Embassy has received approval from Tourism Bureau of Tibetan Autonomous Region.

CITS Tibet contact numbers are:
Tel: 0086-891-6836626, 6835046
Fax: 0086-891-6835277

So you can't visit Tibet individually.
Related Questions:
i wanted to know if the chinese government allows indian tourists to travel...
Asked by Mr.Tadasmi Koul from China
| Jun. 23, 2009 23:08
Entering China twice in two places
Asked by Zeeshan from UK
| Apr. 10, 2016 03:40
Do indian citizens need a visa to travel to hong kong as tourists?
Asked by ama121 from India
| Mar. 30, 2012 02:04
6 months tourist visa
Asked by Ann from Argentina
| Feb. 27, 2013 03:48
Will I need a travel permit to Tibet
Asked by Ceci from USA
| Mar. 31, 2013 21:28
I want know the overland distance form kunmimg to foshan city and travel ti...
Asked by Mr.Silva from Sri lanka
| Apr. 03, 2009 04:31
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)